On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:44 AM, Charles-H. Schulz
<charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
Hello Robinson,

Le 2014-03-30 23:16, Robinson Tryon a écrit :

Hi all,
I've been doing some prep work for LinuxFest NW, and noticed a few
things we might want to update on this page:
https://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/who-are-we/

- Because of dual licensing, we should reference both the LGPL and
MPL, or generalize the language

- I'd like to clarify the statement:
"[we] believe in the principles of free software...the promise of
better-quality, highly-reliable and secure software that gives you
greater flexibility at zero cost"

We do offer the LibreOffice product for zero cost, but I think we
should be clearer that use of/migration to LibreOffice can be greatly
helped by having technical support provided either by internal or
external appropriately-trained technical staff, which may cost
something.

Yes and let's not forget that even if LibreOffice binaries were to be sold
at 50 bucks "a piece", we would still be conveying the most fundamental
rights and aspects of software freedom.
While this is not an encouragement to create sites that makes you buy
LibreOffice, I think it is important to stress more on the benefits of
software freedom besides the importance of technical and management guidance
for migrations.

Oh, certainly. I'd be happy to see the emphasis of that paragraph
focus on software freedom rather than up-front price.

- Anything else you'd suggest improving on that webpage?

With some post website release hindssght, I think it's important to stress
that we -try to- base our actions on a document few have read: the Next
Decade Manifesto: http://www.documentfoundation.org/foundation/  This is our
"We the People" document and it's what was and is used as the cornerstone of
the LibreOffice project. It's important to highlight it I think.

I agree.

Here's a quick update to the language of that page that (hopefully)
addresses the points we've raised in this thread.  (I wish that there
were a way for me to submit a 'patch' or otherwise provide a diff
against the current website so people could see the changes
side-by-side)

---   ---   ---   ---   ---

Who are we?

LibreOffice is community-driven and developed software, and is a
project of the not-for-profit organization, The Document Foundation.

LibreOffice is developed by users who, just like you, believe in the
principles of free software and in sharing their work with the world
in non-restrictive ways. At the core of these principles are the [four
essential freedoms](https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) and
the tenets of The Document Foundation's [Next Decade
Manifesto](https://www.documentfoundation.org/assets/tdf/pdf/tdf_manifesto.pdf).

We believe that users should have the freedom to run, copy,
distribute, study, change and improve the software that we distribute.
While we do offer no-cost downloads of the LibreOffice suite of
programs, free software is first and foremost a matter of liberty, not
price. We campaign for these freedoms because we believe that everyone
deserves them.

We seek to eliminate the digital divide and empower all as full
citizens, support the preservation of mother tongues, and avoid
proprietary software and format lock-in. We work to attain our goals
by
* providing unfettered access to our office productivity tools at no cost
* encouraging the translation, documentation, and support of our
software in one's own language
* promoting and actively participating in the creation and development
of open standards and free software via open and transparent
peer-review processes

Though the members of our community hail from many different
backgrounds, we all value personal choice and transparency, which
translates practically into wider compatibility, more utility, and no
end-user lock-in to a single product. We believe that free software
can provide better-quality, higher-reliability, increased-security,
and greater-flexibility than proprietary alternatives.

The community behind LibreOffice is the heart of the project, without
which we would not have the resources to continue developing the
software. The passion and drive that every individual brings to the
community results in collaborative development that often exceeds our
own expectations. With dozens of different essential roles in the
project, we invite everyone to join us in our work and help us to make
LibreOffice known and accessible to all.

The Community Bylaws, developed by our own community members, guide
the way we work and encourage new members to contribute in a way which
benefits both the whole community as well as themselves. Through the
use of copyleft licenses such as the [GNU Lesser General
Public](https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html), [Mozilla
Public](https://www.mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/), and [Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/),
we commit to protecting your rights as developers and content
creators.

Interested in seeing who has already contributed to the LibreOffice
project? Please visit our Credits page. We hope to see your name there
soon!

To learn more about how the community protects your rights and how our
non-profit shepherds projects like LibreOffice, please see our
[Privacy Policy] and [legal information].

Cheers,
--R