On Monday, March 17, 2014 06:39:24 AM you wrote:
I changed the subject line.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 6:01 AM,  <timothy.m.butterworth@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sunday, March 16, 2014 09:47:33 AM you wrote:
On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 6:58 AM,  <timothy.m.butterworth@gmail.com>
wrote:
On Saturday, March 15, 2014 03:24:11 AM you wrote:
On Saturday, March 15, 2014 03:15:06 AM you wrote:
On Saturday, March 15, 2014 04:08:59 PM you wrote:
Jean,

Is it possible to get Amazon.com to stock hard/soft copy and
Google
Books
to stock soft copy (they already support PDF in addition to
epub.)
It
would would not be bad to see if Barnes and Noble as well as
Kobo
would
also stock the soft copy for their Ebook Readers as well. This
would
certainly assist with in reaching new users particularly if they
are
provided for free and would provide some great advertising as
well.

I know Amazon and Google have programs to self publish but I
have
not
actually tried them out though.

Is anyone interested is publishing them in epub or mobi? I would
like
learn how to format and produce epub so if someone knows how and
wants
lead this then I am willing to port some chapters!

Tim

Tim,
As I have said on previous occasions when this topic came up: yes,
it
is possible to get printed books and ebooks (in several formats)
be
stocked by Amazon and others. Lulu (where we publish our books)
will
take care of it for us (previously there was a fee, but now there
is
not). There is some extra work involved that sounds easy but is
not.
have begun taking steps to do this for the v4.2 books.

Amazon's self-publishing program (I don't know about Google's) has
cost, taxation, and other problems for us that I don't have the
energy
to describe in detail right now. I personally will not consider
using
them, but others can pursue this if they wish to.

We can, of course, produce our own ebooks (epub, mobi, other
formats)
from chapters and/or full books with or without Lulu's help, and
publish them on our own wiki and website along with the ODTs and
PDFs
for users to download at no cost.

Dan Lewis has done some work converting files to epub. He has said
that the latest version of Calibre does a much better and easier
job
of converting our files than earlier versions did. I don't think
Dan
is available to lead an effort to do major conversions, but that's
for
him to say.
ev
IMO we need to make some changes to our template to make the
conversion process easier and give better results. I have
documented
some of this somewhere. You might be able to find it by searching
the
archives for this list, or it might be on the wiki. IIRC, mainly
the
changes involve getting rid of our custom style names wherever
possible and using the built-in style names instead.

This change in style names is part of the plan to produce a new
template for our books, but that plan keeps getting stalled for
various reasons. Also, work on the template over the past few
years
seems to have focused on changes that affect mainly the appearance
of
the resulting PDFs & printed books and not on changes that affect
the
conversion process to other formats.

--Jean

Jean,

I decided I wanted to go ahead and try out The Google Books
Partnership
Publishing, I went ahead and published The LibreOffice 4.0 Getting
Started
Guide in its official non-modified state to Google Books and Google
Play
for the low price of FREE with no DRM. Google Is currently
processing
it
for full text search/indexing it is set to become available
immediately
upon finishing and it will be available in PDF download format from
Google
Play/Books as well. I was also able to advertise the printed version
from
Lulu as well.

I will send out the URL for it when I goes online, The process is
pretty
fast and relatively easy.

I will look at publishing the rest of them after I see how this one
turns
out.

Also the partnership Publishing accounts can be configured for
multiple
administrators to ease management/updates etc.

Tim

Jean,

I attempted to upload the .ODT version hoping to make it an additional
available format for download but Google currently rejects that file
type.
It is limited to PDF, epub as well as cover art in jpeg/gif.

Tim

Jean,

According to Google The getting started guide is now live and online in
The
PE, US and VE sales regions. I am currently not able to located it
though
through their search tools.

I did find that there is another group that has uploaded some but not
all
of the manuals under the Google Play Books Textbooks. They are missing
covers and have other minor issues though but they did get ISBN Numbers
assigned for them though.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Getting_Started_with_LibreOffice_4_
0.h
tml?id=H3ennAEACAAJ

I will let everyone know when I am finished publishing all of them and
they
actually show up in the content search.

Tim

That "other group" is us. Those are copies of the printed editions
published by Friends of OpenDocument, Inc and sold through Lulu.com.
The ISBN are the ones from the interior PDFs of the printed editions,
which is why they lack covers. They would be formatted for 6"x9" and
in black-and-white.

When I published the printed editions, I ticked a box on Lulu's site
for making them available through Google. I didn't pay enough
attention to know where they would end up. I note, however, that there
is no link to where one can actually buy the book, at least not in
Australia; when I look at that page, I see links to 4 Australian
retailers, but none of them actually have the book (which is what I
would expect). I assume that you, in the USA, see links to different
retailers.

--Jean

Jean,

I have the books set for work wide distribution but due to Google business
limitations they are currently only available for PE, US and VE sales
regions.

Also I am going to contact some of the US publishers ORielly etc and ask
them to publish hard copy. Some of them do this already for other open
source projects like MySQL. I will let you know if any of them agree to
publish them.

Tim

Good to see someone taking initiative on further distribution of LO
user guides and production and distribution of ebooks. Despite my
interest in the subject, I ran out of energy to keep pursuing all of
that several years ago, beyond the simplest level of Lulu paperback
publishing.

Of course, we need more people to actually update (write, review,
edit, index, and in some cases translate updates from German or
French) the books in a timely manner.

And I'm still hoping someone (or more than one) will step forward to
take over what I do, or in many cases should do but don't, as
so-called team leader. Mentoring new volunteers, for example.

--Jean

All,

Draw is getting closer now. It is currently available on Google Books:
http://books.google.com/books/about?id=KF8YAwAAQBAJ but it is not yet
available on Google Play Books. You can open it in preview on Google Book and
add it to your library but the purchase button currently does not work.

Getting closer. The rest were smooth except for this one. It appears it was
corrupted during upload. It was accepted and is now marked to go live so
possibly tomorrow it will be on Google Play Books.

Tim