 Dutch city of Ede spends 92 percent less (!) than its peers on software licenses
Risk aversion might be the easiest and safest way, it's also very expensive

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/elibrary/case/dutch-city-ede-spends-92-percent-less-its-peers-software-licenses

"Our strategy is to gently push our users in that direction. You can use Microsoft Office at your
workplace, for example, but not from home because of the license costs involved. LibreOffice,
however, is offered at both locations. So a lot of interface and conversion issues are solved if
you start using LibreOffice at work too. We now see our users moving away from Microsoft Office. In
the meantime, of course, we have to?script?for both application suites."

"The city of Ede is already running dozens of open source
solutions:?LibreOffice,Zarafa+webmail,?Firefox,?TYPO3,?zaaksysteem.nl?(in
Dutch),?MySQL,?PostgreSQL,Nagios, and?Asterisk, to name but a few."