On 12/31/2013 08:20 PM, Jean Weber wrote:
On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 6:49 AM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster
<webmaster@krackedpress.com> wrote:
As the person who creates the NA-DVD .iso, I have offered to burn and media
print labels for the DVD[s] if people cannot download the file[s] for LO
installs.

I have a printer that will print on the printable DVD media so it looks
professional.

Right at this time, I have had a severe health setback and cannot make these
DVDs for the next few months, or more.

So, is there any USA person who might be willing to take the NA-DVD .iso
file,
1- download it,
2 - use the included label file[s] to print directly into the media,
3 - and ship it to USA people who would like the DVD.

I charge the person Priority mail rates and a fee for the media [etc.].  So
this is not a free service.

There are people who wants the DVD [4.1.4 or 4.0.6] right now, but I have
been in and out of the hospital and have difficulty going to the doctor
office, let alone the post office.  So I could use a volunteer to do this
type of work.

The NA-DVD project was designed to make the DVD available, in both a .iso
download file and a physical media that users could get access to.  The .iso
file part is on the LO server system, but the providing of the physical
media is the issue at this time.

To be honest, if there was someone in Canada and the other English speaking
regions that could do this for their regions/countries, it would be welcome.

So, with my health issues, I can no longer provide the burned/printed media,
for the at least a month or two, or longer.

So is there anyone in the USA who would be willing to make and ship the
physical LO NA-DVD project DVD[s]?

Tim Lungstrom

Tim, sorry to hear about your health problems. Hope you improve as
quickly as possible.

All, this may be a good incentive for us to investigate commercial
services that will burn, label, and ship single or multiple DVDs. For
example, http://www.publishmymedia.com/index.html (Note: I know
nothing about that particular service and have never used them; it's
just an example of what's available.) No doubt some, or most, charge
too much in upfront (setup) costs to be viable, but worth
investigating I think. If I have time over the next few weeks, I'll
investigate it myself.

--Jean

I think some of these print on demand services we looked into and the costs were not good for the single disc ordering. But that was last year,

Also, every few months we have a new version of LO to deal with for a DVD. Right now, the 4.1.x line is ready[?] to take over the distribution of LO from the "stable" 4.0.6 version of the DVD. At least that is what it looks like on the "lists". So if we make a print-on-demand service DVD available for 4.1.4, it will be replaced by 4.1.5 or 4.1.6?

As for just burning the DVD and handing them out. . . . Well, that is a good thing to do for friends, but for businesses you need something more professional looking. The DVD contains the label artwork so after you download the DVD .iso file, you can burn the DVD onto printable media and then use your media printing "printer" to print the "professional looking" label. You can get a Canon printer that prints onto CDs and DVDs for under $100 USD. I have two of them, but only use one. [ The other one does not make it easy to print on media and was bought as a "spare" printer when I need it.] Also Epson has printers that will print on DVDs. I have one that does not print well anymore, but I keep it around for its standalone FAX option.

I bought my Epson Artisan 810 as my first DVD printer and when it kept giving me an error message about the "ink pads are near end of life", well I looked into buying a new non-Epson printer. I bought a Canon MG6220. It is easier to use than the Epson was for printing onto a DVD. Then I has the idea about getting ahead of the "game" and buying a "spare" printer. That was a Canon 5420. It is no as easy to print onto DVDs as the other one, but it will do if I have no other option. That printer is now on my media "shelf" in my bedroom. That way I can use my laptop in bed and not need to go into the other room to get any printouts. Some days that "walk" is "difficult" to do.

The real issue for the DVDs is the fact that some people have slow Internet speeds and even downloading the Windows install files may take a very long time for them. Some people may need a professional looking DVD to present to their boss[es] instead of downloading the files from an online source. So having a source withing your area of the world, where the postage/shipping would not be too much, it a key. In the USA, I could ship a DVD, by mail, from New York State to Texas for a small fee. But to ship it across the border to Canada [one forth the distance] would make the shipping cost be about $20 USD, for the Priority mailing I have boxes for. If I went to "normal mail" the DVD "box" could take 6 weeks or more just to go a few hundred miles to Canada, instead of a few days for 1500 miles[?] to Texas and for much less shipping costs. Sending the box UPS or FedEx would cost more since I would have to buy the DVD boxes, which the post office supplies for free with Priority Mailing [if you order the boxes online].

Yesterday, after some issues with the connection between here and Germany, I uploaded the 4.1.4 .iso file to the "proper" server folder/directory and now it it up to the mirror cycle [and other things] to get the file available on the 4.1.4 DVD download page. It usually take a few days, but it looks like it hit the system just right and it is online now.

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?type=box&version=4.1.4

I have been handing out my 4.0.6 DVDs, but [when I am well enough] I could now hand out 4.1.4 DVDs. I have not tested it out on my Ubuntu desktop, yet, but the small tests on Windows 7 seems to be fine. I have a problem with Fonts, that is some versions of LO have trouble with someone having over 400 font files installed and dealing with that number in the different methods to edit the font used. Actually, with all of the different internal font "styles", one package I have tells me that my 400+ font files actually represent about 900 font names and style combinations. That is what some version of LO has problems dealing with. I am slowing paring down that list. 4.0.6 works fine, but the last real test for the 4.1.x line has issues.