On 11/28/2013 12:32 PM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
Hi Charles, *,

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Charles-H. Schulz
<charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
[...]
Do we need  to display release notes in a clear way on the website, or
should we keep them on a wiki (of course, with a link from the
website)?
There are two kind of release notes - the brief one we have at the
main website, and the list of new features, and the ones that list the
fixed bugs/the more technical ones for the individual releases in the
wiki.

I think we need both.
+1
IMHO users should get a bullet list of new features, improvements, and bug fixes. I would keep each bullet to about 1 sentence in length. There should be link(s) to more extensive description(s) in the wiki for those who are interested in more detail.

Generally, I want to know the summary of changes and personally I rarely read the more technical notes. The exception is for those items I have a deep interest in and have been following more closely. I suspect I am fairly typical of most users.

My thinking goes like this: few people read them and the people who
do... tend to know our wiki. Most of the people don't, they are
interested in features and these features will have a dedicated section
on the future website.
Maybe you have a narrow view on release notes that excludes the new
features notes and similar.

Maybe defining what release notes for endusers should contain is the
real question here.

ciao
Christian

--