I think psychologists have found that it's difficult for people to maintain focus for more than
40mins.  Minds start to wander or drift off.  Some people have tricks to give their mind a break
earlier.  Things often don't start bang on the time they are supposed to, especially in community
groups.  So the 1 hour slots sound perfect and gives sessions "a bit of wriggle room".

I have been to conferences where some of the most productive work was in the pub/bar afterwards.
"Networking" with people from similar organisations or other departments and finding that some
problems are not unique to your own area but are fairly common and then finding that 1 person or
other has a neat work-around (often without even realising the problem has been hampering other
departments).

At a couple of conferences there have even been deliberate sessions set aside as "workshops",
usually to collaborate on some cross-discipline team-building exercise or just to catch up on
emailing or to go on a quick sight-seeing tour (better as a 2hour block) or a tai-chi session to
actively help  the mind recover.  Again it doesn't look good on paper but has really elevated the
effectiveness of conferences.