On 05/16/2013 02:47 AM, Marc Paré wrote:

Although I am one who whole heartedly defends and promotes opensource
software, I would be more inclined to use the Adobe logo as we are
producing files in the Adobe reader format. It has more recognized value
for our users. When the GNU project reaches the break point where they
have taken over the iconic value of the Adobe logo, then we could change.

PDF is an open standard (ISO 32000) based on PostScript, and therefore
on Adobe patents and technologies. The PDF icon, without the Adobe name
on it, is representative of the file format, and cannot be replaced by
any other icon.

The GNU PDF icon is representative of a project, and it cannot be used
to represent the file format (it represents open libraries capable of
supporting the PDF file format, because the original libraries are Adobe
proprietary, although free to use).

So, we will not use another icon to represent the file format, because
any other icon does not represent the file format. We might use GNU PDF
icon if we make use of the GNU PDF libraries (which I do not think it is
true, because our PDF implementation goes back to 2002, when the GNU PDF
project did not exist, so we use our own free libraries, but here I
might be wrong).

FSF John SUllivan, who knows software and understands file formats, has
never asked us to use the GNU PDF icon, because he knows that it would
be a major mistake.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

--
Italo Vignoli - italo.vignoli@gmail.com