Brochures are useful if used properly but they are definitely not a one-thing-fits-all answer.

I was sent to a seminar once and got there desperately late, so late that everyone had already gone
in and while walking through the cafe/reception area i put a neat and attractive little spread of
about flyers and gate-fold leaflets/brochures for about 3 events and for our main company on each
of the little coffee tables.  The next day we were inundated with calls and emails.

Apparently people had taken more notice of our 'accidental' and attractive marketing than they took
of the main event!  It caught them with their guard-down while relaxing with their morning coffee
after a boring seminar and i'm fairly sure the poster by the exit didn't hurt either.  I'm sure
everyone has similar stories either through luck (like me) or good judgement.

We need all sorts of different ways of getting out there in order to be noticed but nothing beats
direct contact and the right types of relationships with the right people (imo).