On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 12:28:07PM +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
As for IDEs: Actually I dont think that many Python stuff is done in
a IDE -- most is simply written in an editor.

I think you are wrong, at least when we're talking about the classic
3rd party mostly-closed-classic-development-shop.

It seems to be a real market -
  http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

There is no dominant IDE (much less so a crossplatform one) and there seems to
be a lot flux on which IDE is the en vouge one each year. Thus aiming to have
simple, stable and robust build environment that is generic and independant is
key -- whatever is the IDE du jour should be able to integrate that easily.

So on the negative this means we cant simply implement it for one IDE and have
Python 'covered'. OTOH, this is also an opportunity: We could call out a
competition to give an award for the "best Python-LibreOffice-IDE solution",
with a moderately sane deadline. This might trigger some healthy competition
and actually raise interest in the topic in general. Not sure what to give to
the winner though, yet.

But that would need someone in marketing really pushing that concept, with the
intend to push the brand and the ecosystem.

Any takers?

Best,

Bjoern