On 03/05/2013 10:00 AM, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

Hi all,

One of my friends, a teacher in an elementary school in Quebec, just
got a few computers he requested for his class. He got them via OPEQ,
a program that receives used/discarded computers and recycles them for
reuse in schools.

The OPEQ (computers for schools in Quebec) program offers to
pre-install LibreOffice on their systems:
http://www.opeq.qc.ca/ViewCatalog.aspx?NavID=368&CultureCode=fr-CA#computers

So... he got LibreOffice :) Otherwise the computers come w/o any software.

I am inquiring more about the OPEQ's policies on free open sourc
esoftware inclusion, but this is already a huge step, specially here
in Quebec.

Cheers,

Fabian

- -- Fabián Rodríguez
http://libreoffice.magicfab.ca

It is always great to have schools get free equipment, computer, and other needs that are hard to fit into reduced school budgets.

Was there any indication about the OS installed? Or it is "pot-luck" with WinXP to Win7

It would be nice to have more software pre-installed, or a CD/DVD filled with FOSS and other free software. That way either it will have everything they need already installed, or they could have a disc to allow them to install software [most of it] without needing to be connected onto the Internet.

Would the School system in your area accept recommendations from IT professionals on what good/great free software it out there? Would the accept discs of these install packages?

- - - - - - -

You might want to think about some software like I have on the NA-DVDs.

http://libreoffice-na.us/English-4.0-installs/extras.html

or listed on my Windows free software list [of links], which was designed to be a place for people to go for free software ideas. I do have people thanking me for these suggestions. Of course, most of them were added in the mid to late 2000's and not updated. Since I use Linux instead of windows, mostly, I have not looked for new packages for this list.

http://lungstrom.com/list/

Firefox

WOT - Web of Trust - add on that gives people Green/Gray/Red indicators and other options to deal with Google searching to keep kid safe and avoid the sites that may have some "nasties" on them. They also have a "DNS" address that helps to not go to the "un-friendly" sites to kids.

OpenDNS - "DNS" server is meant for K-12 school network/Internet computers

Inkscape

GIMP, GIMPshop, Artweaver, Paint.NET, Photoscape, etc., and other graphical software that might be easier to use than GIMP

7-Zip and other free archive managers

Some free "basic" text editors for writing programs and other .txt based files.

Artha - the offline definition dictionary with thesaurus

Then there are the free anti-virus and anti-malware software like Komodo and AVG

VLC audio/video and WinAmp for audio [I do not use this past Win/XP]

Then there are the Graph and Graphical Calculators for various levels of math courses

Auslogics Disk Defrag - a good defrag is always needed on Windows system

doPDF - for printing out to PDF files from packages that can print to a physical printer