Hi Dennis,

Dennis Roczek wrote on 2013-01-19 19:54:
this is my first here, so bear with me if I'm doing something wrong. I
was writing with Florian Effenberger and he wanted me to post here my idea.

I'm rather active at the English Wikipedia and they have there a so
called 'Bounty Board'. [1]

thank you very much for your proposal!

So, the idea of having bounties has been around for quite a while already. I am no developer, so I really cannot judge from my personal experience, but from what I know it is extremely unlikely that feature requests will be dealt with that way on a large scale.

From what I have heard, the problem is that on one hand, there are so many feature requests, and incorporating all of them would make the product totally unusable (since we would end up with a LaTeX-syntaxed, DTP-compatible, easy-to-use drawing program that makes animated and rendered presentations :-). Also, implementing features takes a *lot* of time on various sides. Documentation, localization, QA and the like, while publishing an article might be much easier, since you can IMHO, following some guidelines, basically do that on your own.

What, however, has worked out in the past are bounties that fix a specific bug. If this list of "bountied" bugs is checked and in a good state, and at doable levels, this of course might work out.

Just a few thoughts from my side. In the end, it needs someone taking the lead and acting as a gateway between development and marketing, and especially getting feedback from developers on this.

Hope that helps a bit,
Florian