On 12/26/2012 06:59 AM, Ian Lynch wrote:
On 26 December 2012 11:25, Florian Monfort <florian.monfort@gmail.com>wrote:

I suppose that also has a meaning for us...

http://allthingsd.com/20121224/seven-questions-for-google-enterprise-chief-amit-singh/

It is inevitable that collaborative working via the web will become the
norm. For most of the international work I do with Word Processing and
Spreadsheets, shared concurrent use has become essential. It means I'm now
using these mostly for regular jobs that at the time I start them don't
need collaboration but I don't know that at the time so its best to start
out like that just in case. For Spreadsheets now it is almost exclusively
Google because I don't need anything particularly complex, I need to share
the info. WP more and more. I just did a handbook for our latest quals in
Google exported to pdf and then uploaded to Lulu. Covers in Inkscape.
Shared inkscape/draw would be good but not there yet.
Not everyone can use a web based service either for technical reasons or legal reasons. Many industries have data security regulations that are very difficult (or impossible) to meet when using a web-based service.

Also, others do not regularly need to collaborate with others outside of their local environment so the distance advantage of Google Docs is bill.

So I think it is a dilemma for both TDF and Apache as to whether to divert
resources into an open source web version of the software or plough on
competing with MSO for a desktop space that looks like becoming a paradigm
of the past.
The cloud/web is based on central control of resources with the user being at the mercy of the connection and server as well as their own computer/terminal. In the 70's the cloud was called timesharing on mainframe systems and many detested it because of the lack of control they had with the mainframe. Both local control and the cloud have their place but to say one is superior to the other is incorrect because they solve different problems.

Also, if MS essentially abandons the desktop where will desktop users turn? Many will not want to use a web based application and will need to eventually replace their aging/obsolete versions of MSO.

Shame really that the resources could not be combined so that one project
concentrated on the desktop and the other a cloud version. Then rivalry
between the two could largely be of positive rather than negative benefit
to both.
The problem with a web based LO or AOO is the required server resources to make it effective which translates to money. I doubt either group has the finances to effectively support a web version.
--
*Monfort Florian*
BM2 Student at France Business School

deleted