On 4 Aug 2011, at 20:57, Florian Effenberger wrote:

Hello,

I've received a request to change two things on our website, regarding terminology:

- Instead of solely using "open source", I was asked that we should also use "free software".

TL;DR summary:  FOSS is a reasonable term to use sparingly in English  (FOSS - Free, Open Source
Software).

Explanation: FLOSS is not a good term to use as it appears humourous to most people not educated to
regard it otherwise. Over-use of "Free" distracts most native English speakers who rarely associate
it with "Liberty" unless educated to do so and I don't think that's TDF's role. FOSS - Free, Open
Source Software - works in many contexts as it does not have other common meanings and provokes
curiosity, but should not be over-used as jargon and acronyms make text look complex. "Open Source"
is a term widely recognised among computer users and is thus a good colloquial term in contexts
where the message is about LibreOffice rather than about software freedom as a philosophy or
ethical system.

So my recommendation would be to occasionally use the construct "Free, Open Source software" (say
once per page) and otherwise stick with "open source".

- "Linux" should be referred to as "GNU/Linux".

For most people it really doesn't matter, and it makes some people happy, so why not.

I am, as we have a saying in Germany, rather emotionless on this, but I do see that many people
have concerns with solely using "open source" or leaving out the "GNU" prefix.

Shall we aim for achieving a good mixture of both terminologies? Anyone has severe concerns on
that?

Florian