We are probably the last team to write on this. So, I will submit these links for those who have yet not heard of the news.

Oracle has donated the OpenOffice code to the Apache Foundation. You can read up on this from the TDF official statement:

http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/06/01/statement-about-oracles-move-to-donate-openoffice-org-assets-to-the-apache-foundation/

You may also find Michael Meek's blog interesting to read:

http://www.gnome.org/~michael/blog/2011-06-01.html

Of all the conversations going on the different mailing list teams, you may want to listen in on the dev discussion. The important aspect of this move is the licensing different between our LibreOffice project and the Apache license under which OOo will now be driven. This is where the difference lies, in philosophy. I would suggest that, if you are not a dev on that list, that you let them to talk this through as a group, and if you wish to express your opinion, feel free to do so here or on another list where you are a contributor. All lists are now talking about this, even the users' list. I think we will all need to go through this stage of discussing the merits of participation on the LibreOffice project.

As for myself, not having had the experience of working on the OOo project, nor experience with Apache licensing projects, I think the LibreOffice community is here to stay and I will be here to participate for as long as I can. The direction we, as a community, are heading, fits nicely with my values in participating in a meritocratic organisation, as well, the LGPL and Creative Commons licences seem a great fit for the code and our contributed materials.

The vibrancy of our community and the amicable and helpful environment under which we contribute is proof that LibreOffice is here to stay as a community/membership project.

Cheers