Deodorant? Funny.

Yea, aesthetically, I think the logo is so-so. Retro w/o the hip factor. What is more interesting to me and I think can act as a cautionary tale to this project is the criticism this logo has generated. Gigaom's Bobbie Johnson summarized it well:

More accurately, protesters say that it doesn’t tell the truth, because the single “HTML5” brand slaps a single, inaccurate name on top of a vast number of technologies and standards for no particular reason. It not only incorporates actual HTML5, the next generation of the language that underpins the web, but also including CSS3, JavaScript, SVG and a plethora of official APIs that can be used for web applications.

In the W3C’s FAQs, this deliberate confusion is outlined: The logo is a general-purpose visual identity for a broad set of open web technologies, including HTML5, CSS, SVG, WOFF, and others.
<http://gigaom.com/2011/01/19/the-truth-behind-html5s-new-logo-fiasco/>

In short: the logo does not stand for html5 at all. I think the criticism is accurate and the lesson here, in my opinion, is:

Be careful not to dilute the definition of what is represented by one's logo.

fwiw,
-Craig