On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

How about if we look at Cannonical's method of distributing free Cds and
also
selling them from the same website.  It seems sad that they view their free
shipit service as a money losing service without their sales point
contributing
profit to shipit.

The shipit service states that it takes 4-6weeks to deliver and it is a
little
more difficult to reach on their site.  Since costs of buying a batch of Cd
are
so low i would guess that many people just take the easier, faster route
and
just buy.

In my country we have to pay tax on top of most imported goods over a
certain (&
very low) value and i have been caught-out by this one time when ordering
OpenSource products.  The cost to me almost doubled.  One problem is that
the
cost written on the box is the taxable amount so if i order from shipit but
make
a donation to them then i don't get hit by an excessive tax but if i use
their
shop i can only order 5 at a time.

Of course the cost on the box is nowhere near covers the value of the items
me.  If i had to buy an equivalent from MicroSquish then the cost would be
about
£120 per Cd and i could not afford to pay the tax on that!  Not even for 1
Cd.

I could buy an official and very smart looking Cd from someone inside this
country but their mark-up tends to be quite high.  Not as high as taxes
tho!

If we could organise for our product to be distributed in a variety of
ways,
particularly by having a distributor in each country and linked to from the
other ditribution websites then we mght stand some chance of getting our
product
out there and hence raise demand.

At the moment it seems important to hide our product so that no-one knows
about
it and no-one wants it and we compound this by being very restrictive on
the
ways of getting the product.

Has anyone in here had any marketing training or any experience?

Marketing. Yes. One thing I might observe is that this thread (and related
threads on the CD topic) are really about sales, not marketing.

Cheers,
jec

I was hoping
to learn a lot by joining this list but instead i seem to 'have to'
continually
point out some very very basic stuff.  I had a similar experience with
Wolvix
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=wolvix
and they were extremely resist to the basic stuff.  Despite them, by
ignoring
them and getting the word out there along with a few others in their
community
we got them from 97th on the DW site to 9th!!  However we were given so
much
agro by the top people that a few of us just left and now they have dropped
of
the bottom of the top 100.

Please can we try to get our product out there and known about and talked
about?