All,

(follow-up please on the marketing list...)

the US marketing list has been created to allow local marketing discussions, event preparation and coordination of marketing activities in northern America. At the moment Canadian marketing is coordinated on this list too, until these activities will be strong enough to establish a Canadian marketing list too.

Even if our general marketing has to be coordinated internationally, there are good reasons to establish dedicated lists for local or regional marketing teams:

- They can act and react according to the local conditions.
- They can coordinate local events.
- They can work with local journalists and contacts.
- They can talk to each other and in public in their own language.

While the last point could be achieved by language based marketing teams, the other three can be very different for marketing in different areas even though they speak the same language.

Please find out, if we can achieve our goals with the following approach:

1) Create Marketing lists for regions with common marketing interest.

2) Name these lists according to the ISO country code of the most active group inside this region.

3) If other groups in this marketing area based on a different country show as much activity to define the need for another marketing list, this list can be created later on.

4) Keep contact to the neighbors by have some people of the local teams subscribed to their lists.

5) Most of the languages are mainly spoken in one area only, so there is no need to differ between language and region. (In these cases ISO code for language and country are often the same)

Only for languages with wider spread localized activities we need to create different marketing lists. What I already thought of:

Language:  Region:      Main (most active) Country:    List Name:

Portuguese: Portugal             Portugal   marketing@pt.libreoffice.org
           South America         Brasil     marketing@br.libreoffice.org
   (with BrOffice might be marketing@broffice.org even better)

Spanish:   South Western Europe  Spain      marketing@es.libreoffice.org
           North/Middle America  Mexico     marketing@mx.libreoffice.org
           South America         Argentina  marketing@ar.libreoffice.org

English:   North America         USA        marketing@us.libreoffice.org
           British Islands       England    marketing@en.libreoffice.org
           Australia/Oceania     Australia  marketing@au.libreoffice.org
   perhaps India                 India      marketing@in.libreoffice.org
   perhaps South Africa          S. Africa  marketing@za.libreoffice.org

German:    Central Europe        Germany    marketing@de.libreoffice.org

I have no glue about Chinese and South Asian, Arabic or African languages. Their regional distribution might be localized or geographically dispersed - but with such an approach we could find a solution that fits most of the local marketing efforts.

To establish such a local mailing list, there should be a team interested in local marketing activities.

I didn't find to put this posting in the correct form to create a wiki page out of the content. If someone else could do, I'd be very happy.

Best regards

Bernhard