[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names
- From: "Ming H." <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 21:24:37 +0800
- To: "LO L10N Mailing List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Thanks for the reply.
------------------ Original ------------------
From: "Eike Rathke"<email@example.com>;
Date: Jun 2, 2020
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names
> On Friday, 2020-05-29 11:54:27 +0200, Sophie Gautier wrote:
>> > However there is also
>> > https://translations.documentfoundation.org/translate/libo_ui-master/svtoolsmessages/zh_Hans/?checksum=4abc603904d1d7fa
>> > where the country notation is only "Congo". Does this mean
>> > it's spoken in Republic of the Congo (a.k.a. Congo-Brazzaville)?
>> > If yes, it's probably better to be explicitly spelled out, as
>> > "Congo" is ambigous.
> Yes, "(Congo)" is the Republic of the Congo, Congo-Brazzaville.
> IIRC those languages/locales simply were earlier supported and just
> later the "(Democratic Republic of the Congo)" locales were added.
Or maybe because "(Congo)" was used at a time when Dep. Rep. of
the Congo was called "Zaire", and when it changed its name, we only
updated "Zaire" to "Dep. Rep. of the Congo", but neglected "Congo".
> Geez.. that's a mess.
(Also seeing the follow-ups about the complications) Sorry for opening
this can of worms. :-P
To unsubscribe e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
|[libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names||"Ming H." <email@example.com>|
|Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names||sophi <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names||Eike Rathke <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names
- Previous by thread: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names
- Next by thread: [libreoffice-l10n] solver.xhp par_id9038972 help.text