Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names

Hi Eike,

Thanks for the reply.

From: "Eike Rathke"<erack@redhat.com>;
Date: Jun 2, 2020
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names

> Hi,
>
> On Friday, 2020-05-29 11:54:27 +0200, Sophie Gautier wrote:
>> > However there is also
>> > https://translations.documentfoundation.org/translate/libo_ui-master/svtoolsmessages/zh_Hans/?checksum=4abc603904d1d7fa
>> > where the country notation is only "Congo". Does this mean
>> > it's spoken in Republic of the Congo (a.k.a. Congo-Brazzaville)?
>> > If yes, it's probably better to be explicitly spelled out, as
>> > "Congo" is ambigous.
>
> Yes, "(Congo)" is the Republic of the Congo, Congo-Brazzaville.
> IIRC those languages/locales simply were earlier supported and just
> later the "(Democratic Republic of the Congo)" locales were added.

Or maybe because "(Congo)" was used at a time when Dep. Rep. of
the Congo was called "Zaire", and when it changed its name, we only
updated "Zaire" to "Dep. Rep. of the Congo", but neglected "Congo".

> Geez.. that's a mess.

(Also seeing the follow-ups about the complications) Sorry for opening
this can of worms. :-P

Regards,
Ming