Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about translating language names

Hi,

On Friday, 2020-05-29 11:54:27 +0200, Sophie Gautier wrote:

> > However there is also
> > https://translations.documentfoundation.org/translate/libo_ui-master/svtoolsmessages/zh_Hans/?checksum=4abc603904d1d7fa
> > where the country notation is only "Congo". Does this mean it's spoken in Republic of the Congo (a.k.a. Congo-Brazzaville)? If yes, it's probably better to be explicitly spelled out, as "Congo" is ambigous.

Yes, "(Congo)" is the Republic of the Congo, Congo-Brazzaville.
IIRC those languages/locales simply were earlier supported and just
later the "(Democratic Republic of the Congo)" locales were added.

> But what is strange is that Aka has no area attached to it
> https://glottolog.org/resource/languoid/id/akaa1242
> https://iso639-3.sil.org/code/soh
> I wonder where it comes from, I'll ask Eike

Geez.. that's a mess. We currently have

LANGUAGE_USER_AKA 0x0677 axk-CF - no entry in language list
LANGUAGE_USER_AKA_CONGO 0x8277 axk-CG "Aka (Congo)"

But the 'axk' ISO 639 code actually is Yaka, not Aka,
https://iso639-3.sil.org/code/axk

'soh' Aka seems to have only 300 native speakers according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sillok_language and is spoken in Sudan,
we did not want to introduce that in this case and also have no entries
for 'soh'.

I'll adjust that to "Yaka (Congo)" and also add axk-CF to the language
list with "Yaka (Central African Republic)".

Thanks for pointing out.

Eike

--
GPG key 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918 630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A