Hi Ming, *,

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 5:58 AM Ming H. <2097632994@qq.com> wrote:
[…]

Please don't use the same file twice. Please download the files for
both branches separately and locally merge your changes before
reuploading

Yes I understand PO files are a bit tricky.  I tried "msgmerge -o new-master.po -N 6-4.po
master.po" a while ago when I tried to rectify the discrepancy caused by my file upload, but the
result new-master.po contained too many unrelated changes and I ended up discarding it and
manually edited the master.po file instead.  I'll ask on this list if I need to do this again in
the future and can't figure it out myself.

The tools from the translate-toolkit are better suited for work like
this than the plain gettext commands (esp. when dealing with multiple
files at once, since you can use directories with it)/a multi step
process is better suited.

http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects/translate-toolkit/en/latest/commands/pomerge.html

so let's say you edited the 6.4 files, and you want all identical
source strings to be the same translation (not only those you
touched), you could use:

pomerge --mergeblanks=no --mergefuzzy=no -t master.po -i 6-4.po -o
updated_master.po
(can also directrly specify master.po in the outfile, but likely
better to do in separate file first to compare/sanity check :-))

Since pomerge doesn't have a --no-wrap switch, long lines get split up
into multiple lines in the output, and that makes comparing it to the
original harder, so add another step:

msgcat --no-wrap updated_master.po > final_master.po

the you can easily diff master.po to final_master.po with your
favorite diffing tool to double-check the changes.

The main difference between using pomerge and msgmerge is that pomerge
hs the --mergeblanks=no switch.
Of course can also be wanted to have strings untranslated in the
target as well, but if it is you can enable it :-) pomerge will
"complain" about different units though (if a unit just is in one
file) - but will do its job nevertheless.

ciao
Christian

ciao
Christian