Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about file download/upload on Weblate

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

From: "Christian Lohmaier";<lohmaier+ooofuture@googlemail.com>;
Send time: Tuesday, Apr 28, 2020 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Question about file download/upload on Weblate

>> But occasionally I use the file downloading and uploading method to give a certain component an overall change, covering quite a few strings at the same time. [??]
>>
>> Is there any option or procedure that can enable automatic propagation between branches?
>
> Propagation of translations on file upload has been explicitly
> disabled by weblate authors:
> https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/commit/c31b7e9f48dd828e1d63a9c81118b4ec204e64db
>
> Could be reenabled again on our instance if majority of translators agree.

I can imagine the potential catastrophe if this is enabled and someone makes a careless mistake. I don't use the file DL/UL feature often enough to have a strong opinion. If no other translators want it, I'm fine with the current disabled status.

>> Or do I have to upload the file twice, one for each branch?
>
> Please don't use the same file twice. Please download the files for
> both branches separately and locally merge your changes before
> reuploading

Yes I understand PO files are a bit tricky. I tried "msgmerge -o new-master.po -N 6-4.po master.po" a while ago when I tried to rectify the discrepancy caused by my file upload, but the result new-master.po contained too many unrelated changes and I ended up discarding it and manually edited the master.po file instead. I'll ask on this list if I need to do this again in the future and can't figure it out myself.

Regards,
Ming