[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Better English term for Sidebar "decks"
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Better English term for Sidebar "decks"
- From: Mihkel Tõnnov <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 09:30:47 +0100
- To: Ilmari Lauhakangas <email@example.com>
- Cc: libreoffice-l10n <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Hi Ilmari, *,
T, 10. märts 2020 08:02 Ilmari Lauhakangas <
> The word "deck" in "Sidebar deck" seems like a rather unintuitive term
> for translators. It mainly brings to mind the Star Trek Holodeck. Are we
> running an office suite or a (space)ship? This topic is being discussed
> here: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=131078
> Our documentation has not even caught up with the transition from
> "window" (as in "Styles window") to "deck", so the terminology and thus
> translations are all over the place. "Window" is misleading as we are
> essentially talking about different states in a panel.
> I see in the Finnish translation we currently use a term analogous to
> "deck of cards", "pile" or "bow of a ship".
There is definitely some confusion about the terms, however I'm not sure
the word "deck" is to blame - rather the mix-n-match of
panel/pane/deck/window (and possibly something else I forgot), which makes
one stop and hesitate, "what is this thing now exactly, didn't it have a
different name 20 sentences ago?"
What came to my mind as a more translator-friendly term is "view".
> Thoughts from localisers?
I think "view" would create more problems than it solves, as it is way more
abstract word than "deck" and besides that, already used in several other
places, esp. in Impress.
To unsubscribe e-mail to: email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
|Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Better English term for Sidebar "decks"||Sveinn í Felli <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|[libreoffice-l10n] Better English term for Sidebar "decks"||Ilmari Lauhakangas <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Better English term for Sidebar "decks"
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Better English term for Sidebar "decks"
- Previous by thread: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Better English term for Sidebar "decks"
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Better English term for Sidebar "decks"