Hi Heiko, Martin, *,

Martin Srebotnjak (<miles@filmsi.net>), 28.02.2020 kell 12:49:

Hi, Heiko,

the system you introduced does not allow grammatical cases of the localized
keys. So it doesn't work OK for some languages, it is faulty.

Of course, if you think it is possible, you can upgrade it to work, so it
will have also a parameter in which case the string should be, and also the
build process should then use the proper dictionaries for all l10n
languages of LO (possible to generate all word cases), so that could work.
It seems a complex job to me, but I might be wrong.

Another thing to consider would be small vs. capital first letter, for the
languages that don't always use the capitalized version: "Ctrl/Alt/Option"
are (presumably) always written with capital initial in the languages where
they are named as in English (such as in my native Estonian), however the
Slovenian "krmilka" (note the small first letter) would then need to be
somehow capitalized when it's used in the beginning of a sentence.
*Possibly* this situation can be avoided, *if* the localizers always
remember that "strilka"/"strilke" etc. will always appear in all-lowercase,
and *if* the language's grammar allows for playing around with word order -
but that's two big "if's".

I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. More failure-proof option would be to
just have separate strings for Linux/Windows and Mac. Sure, it means a bit
more work for l10n teams, but translation memory can alleviate that.

Best,
Mihkel
Estonian translator