Hi *,

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 11:22 AM sophi <sophi@libreoffice.org> wrote:
Le 14/02/2020 à 10:49, Tuomas Hietala a écrit :

I already unflagged many of them as I saw what was happening, but here's
an example that I can cofirm showing up in English in Finnish-language
LO as of 6.4.0:
https://weblate.documentfoundation.org/translate/libo_ui-master/filtermessages/fi/?checksum=90e8d59d903deeb9

It's in the PDF export dialog, on the second tab from the left.

That should not fall back to English if the string is fuzzy.

That's default behaviour for gettext/msgfmt though. By default fuzzy
strings are ignored and not taken into account/are omitted from the
generated .mo file.
And fuzzy/needs work is default behaviour in weblate, so no changes
here. So if other projects treat fuzzy translations as valid in the
program, they either explicitly use the --use-fuzzy switch to msgfmt
or filter it out using some other means.

And traditionally it is used to flags strings that were
auto-translated during the update of templates, where the change looks
similar enough for the msgmerge program that it thinks the translation
is the same, but with slight changes that make it not 100% certain
about it. Sure it can be used by humans as well, but for that most
tools (at least the web-based ones) have replaced that by the concept
of suggestions. (but they would work similar fashion: unless it is
accepted the string will be treated as untranslated (or the current
translation will be used in case the suggestion is to change an
existing one)

Weblate would allow for a dedicated review workflow, in which a
translated string would still be listed as translated, but will still
be flagged for review.
This would be a project-wide setting though and not a language specific one.
https://docs.weblate.org/en/weblate-3.10.3/workflows.html#dedicated-reviewers

If it is about reviewing changes by new translators, you could also
use a project's history and advanced search.
There's history available under e.g.
https://weblate.documentfoundation.org/languages/fi/#history for all
projects for a language or
https://weblate.documentfoundation.org/languages/fi/libo_help-master/#history
for a specific project.

Also you can use search with advanced query tags, e.g.
changed:>=2020-01-01 AND NOT changed_by:cloph

for all changes done since January first and not done by me. (I assume
excluding a small group of reviewers here is easier than listing
"untrusted"/watched users here.)

tldr;
* fuzzy strings are considered untranslated
  → could be changed in msgfmt invocation
      → changing that requires consensus of ~all translation teams
* weblate would support review workflow
  → can only be changed on a per-project level
     → should have consensus by significant number of translation teams
     (not using the process will not break things per se, it just
means that permissions need to be tweaked that every translator can
also set their own translation as reviewed or people need to ignore
"needs review" state)
* weblate has history/powerful search that can be used to review
strings manually/in batch without a special flag
  → no consensus needed/each project can do whatever they want
     → manual work/need to manually keep track of "last checked date"
or similar.

ciao
Christian