[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[libreoffice-l10n] How to improve Help translation using vocabulary
- Subject: [libreoffice-l10n] How to improve Help translation using vocabulary
- From: Milos Sramek <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 11:06:32 +0100
- To: Libreoffice ln10 <firstname.lastname@example.org>
In translation of the Help (and also the Tip-od-the-day strings) one
often needs to look up translation of UI strings. There are two options
how to do that: open LO and find the string there, and to search for the
string directly in Weblate. Both are cumbersome.
There seems to be a third option.
The LO manuals are translated using OmegaT. There, one can upload UI
translation to its vocabulary and OmegaT then highlights matches
directly in the translated text - one can choose the right one by mouse
click. This is very efficient and it ensures that the translations are
I think that something similar can be achieved also in Weblate. I have
imported 16000 string pairs in vocabulary (there was no problem with
that) and when translating a string, I get a list of suggestions I can
choose from. For example, when translating the string
/To start temporarily with a fresh user profile, or to restore a
non-working %PRODUCTNAME, use////Help > Restart in Safe Mode/.
I can find there translation of /Restart in Safe Mode/. I can transfer
its translation to the editor by a mouse click.
The problem here is that the algorithm behind vocabulary is very simple
- it finds occurrences of each word in the translated string in all
vocabulary entries. Thus for the string above I get 2000+ suggestions. I
can find the right translation by searching in the browser for the
source string. This is not optimal, but still better then the two
possibilities mentioned above.
I thing that the search algorithm can be modified easily so that it
returns only useful matches - I would like to create an issue regarding
that in Weblate's github. If one uses just a standard vocabulary (a list
of translation of single words), no change would be visible.
What do you think about this option? Do you also find it useful?
email & jabber: email@example.com
To unsubscribe e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
|Re: [libreoffice-l10n] How to improve Help translation using vocabulary||Stanislav Horáček <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] A common policy regarding weblate bugs/improvements
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] How to improve Help translation using vocabulary
- Previous by thread: [libreoffice-l10n] Dashboard link leads to project page for all languages instead to components page for language to be translated into
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] How to improve Help translation using vocabulary