[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[libreoffice-l10n] Broken assumptions about menu structure in help content
- Subject: [libreoffice-l10n] Broken assumptions about menu structure in help content
- From: Ilmari Lauhakangas <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 20:42:33 +0300
- To: email@example.com
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
Currently most of the help content referring to menus is incorrect and has been for years. One reason for this sad situation is that due to ancient structural decisions, it is outrageously difficult to adapt the content to changes.
Here is the story in a nutshell:
1. The help system is architected. Repetition in content related to menu items is avoided by clever structuring (hooray! the savings!)
2. Content is added, references to menus spread far and wide
3. Menu item locations are changed in a massive redesign operation, making the help content obsolete
The pain is mostly caused by assumptions that certain menus of certain modules are identical. Impress and Draw are the most problematic in this regard.
Then we have the "how to access" pages with increasingly mixed content. Consider the one for Edit menu, which now contains wonderful entries like "Choose Edit - ImageMap in Writer and Calc or Tools - ImageMap in Impress and Draw" or entries referring to a completely different menu like "Choose Tools - Bibliography Database" and "Choose View - Navigator".
We need a system, where the help content concerning the location of menu items is automatically generated from the menu bar definition files. If shared information on menus is desired, it needs to be produced automatically.
The reason I add l10n list in Cc is that I want to raise awareness of the current situation. Having incorrect information translated into nearly 200 languages just multiplies the number of negative experiences. Translators cannot fix this on the level of strings, it needs to be dealt with structurally. It would be great, if members from the stronger translation teams (de, fr, id...) would participate in the current manual effort on fixing the menu help information.
Here are a few patches from me that show, how the changes can be done:
If people get interested, I can offer assistance.
To unsubscribe e-mail to: email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
|[libreoffice-l10n] Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Broken assumptions about menu structure in help content||Sophia Schröder <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] cui strings
- Next by Date: [libreoffice-l10n] Marketing Call May 16
- Previous by thread: [libreoffice-l10n] Help pages updated in online Help
- Next by thread: [libreoffice-l10n] Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Broken assumptions about menu structure in help content