[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[libreoffice-l10n] Why translate OpenType feature long names?
- Subject: [libreoffice-l10n] Why translate OpenType feature long names?
- From: Jean-Baptiste Faure <email@example.com>
- Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 17:59:54 +0100
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi all translators,
I think it is a bad idea to make long names of OpenType typographic features translatable because these long names are like keywords and need a long sentence to explain what they mean. Without these explanations long names are not understandable and may induce errors. For example "Half Widths" is only applicable to East-Asian tetragrams.
So you need operating instructions such as
to be able to use these typographic features and this page is available only in English. So I think it is easier for the user to search the right long name in this webpage and use automatic translation tool to understand associated explanation if she does not read English.
If we translate long names it will be very difficult for the end-user to return to the original English long name to be able to find its explanation.
So I suggest to make these long names untranslatable.
Seuls des formats ouverts peuvent assurer la pérennité de vos documents.
Disclaimer: my Internet Provider being located in France, each of our
exchanges over Internet will be scanned by French spying services.
To unsubscribe e-mail to: email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
|Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Why translate OpenType feature long names?||Mihkel Tõnnov <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] [PATCH] Fix typo in Sesotho
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Why translate OpenType feature long names?
- Previous by thread: [libreoffice-l10n] [PATCH] Fix acronym in Norwegian
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Why translate OpenType feature long names?