On 30.08.2017 12:51, Leandro Regueiro wrote:
On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Sveinn í Felli <sv1@fellsnet.is> wrote:
Þann mið 30.ágú 2017 09:14, skrifaði Martin Srebotnjak:
So, these changes will make 100+ l10n teams to re-translate/check those
touched strings, yes?

Well, these have been brewing for some time; think we have to live with
that. But of course we should make noise if there is a bunch of such
'cosmetic' modifications, all at once.
Meanwhile, we could think seriously about why the help/docs markup is so
complex (instead of being more CSS-like?) and why there's so little
separation of content and formatting - and what can be done???
I would also add why strings have so many tags when the only
translatable content is outside of the tags or in a single place in
the string, like:

<image src="cmd/sc_compilebasic.png" id="img_id3147576"><alt
id="alt_id3147576">Icon</alt></image>

We have tons of strings like this where the only translatable content
is "Icon". Luckily the translation for my language is quite similar so
with a keystroke and two mouse clicks I can quickly translate those,
but having to do it more than a hundred times is quite annoying since
all these could be just simplified to something like:

<placeholder>Icon</placeholder>

Or even better just:

Icon

Even if it is a massive effort and having in mind that it will require
retranslating thousands of strings I fully support simplifying the
strings using placeholders and removing any styling from the string if
possible. This should:

- reduce the number of strings,
- shorten the strings thus,
   - making it easier to translate,
   - making it faster to translate,
- reduce the possibility of typing mistakes,
- allow to increase use of translation memory.

IMHO these are big upsides making it worth the change.

Sorry for crashing the party but

- documentation should be translatable article by article, not sentence by sentence. It's hard to distinguish title of a topic (article) from a regular text from a menu entry. It's not impossible but is not easy enough.

- [know it's a black magic but] think we could all benefit from a system that could extract menu entries from UI in a manner of multidimensional arrays, apply some kind of ID for every (part/level) of them and than (by hand?) edit Help markup to cross-reference ID's with new pair of tags (XML can handle this) to markup such entries in Help files by levels (as such entries sometimes are separated with regular text). This way Help entries could be automatically replaced with corresponding entries form UI -- consistently!

Menu entries should be translated automatically, not two times by hand (UI and Help) regardless of translation memory. Now small change in UI results in massive change in Help. I don't don't have every UI menu entry in my head and hate to look up when translating Help (that's the reason I'm not doing it often). Feels like a waste of time. Inconsistency in translation is what really bothers me.

I know this would be massive change but why not at least try some brainstorming and see what gives...

I would like to see some comments from translators as in if this would be useful and from developers watching this list as in if this is even possible.

Thanks,

Kruno

Regards

Best regards,