On 06/29/2015 04:13 PM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Yury Tarasievich
<yury.tarasievich@gmail.com> wrote:
Regardless of non-trivial effort and commendable result,

I think trivial effort :-)

Not that trivial, surely.

I'm aghast, guys.

So that's how manpower is spent these days in text-processing projects of LO
calibre?

Don't understand what you mean with that.

A volunteer provided a list of characters and a corresponding
replacement table -  that is not rocket science...

Serving the transition from language to pictograms? Pointing and grunting
next, I suppose (oh, it's there already, androids).

People like their emojis. I myself also wouldn't necessarily enter
them using autocorrect codes, but offering that easy way doesn't hurt,
does it?

God forbid me telling noble selfless volunteers what to do with their time :) (however, I do share the irony of Bruce Sterling, open-source-wise).

However, I'd like to see the manpower spent more wisely -- as there are industry-grade mis-functions in LO yet.

This is my personal opinion to which I, too, am entitled, I believe. If not as a muck-common user, then as a (very very minor) contributor.

Sorry for that rant, I'm envisioning doing the 1,5k of these.

If you think it is stupid to translate, just don't translate and reuse
the english one.

Not stupid as such. But surely it could be, well, postponed indefinitely, or something.

Or ignore altogether if the count of untranslated words doesn't bother you.

Oh, but it does. It sets me back 5% in UI strings. I'm maintaining a certain translation (such as it is) for 10 years now, virtually alone.

-Yury