       What a great example of a convoluted expression -
            which keeps us, the laymen, from completely understanding this
world of electronics  ;-)

       'arithmetically declining'  ???
            could be referring to that 'new math', huh  ;-)

       To simplify matters -
            [yes, the Keep It Simple S method  ;-)  ]

          how about changing 'Compute the amount of depreciation at a given
period of time using the Sum-of-the-Years'-Digits method.'
              to read, To compute depreciation, use the
Sum-of-the-Years'-Digits method.