Hi Michael,

On Monday, 2013-05-06 14:27:47 +0100, Michael Bauer wrote:

1) I realise Eike only asked for a bug to be filed (that in itself
is hurdle #1 as it requires knowledge of what a bug is and how to
file one by the way)

RFE bugs are the usual mean to get something into the code. Having taken
a bug helps the developer to list pending tasks / schedule / prioritize
/ create dependencies. A mail vanishes out of sight into the archive.

2) Eike referred to the Wiki page (presumably to give Kairaba
additional information on requesting new languages)
3) I went and read said Wiki page and it struck me how confusing
this seems to me and how scary it must be to someone who is new to
localization and primarily a new translator and who googles
"localizing LibreOffice" and comes across said page without knowing
about this l10n mailing list, so that's hurdle #2

What's wrong about
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice_Localization_Guide/Adding_a_New_Language_or_Locale#Request_a_new_language.2Flocale_to_be_added
that more or less says "just request language foobar and if the above is
mumbo-jumbo to you the poor i18n developer will have to figure it out
anyway"?

4) I then posted whether that page should not have a big sign
slapped across it saying "if this confuses you, just send us an
email" (and foolishly in the same sentence suggested this *might*
require a new list. That's clearly a lead balloon so let's not bring
that up again)

It's a wiki, feel free to clarify or even rearrange the page but please
do not remove information.

I just googled "translating LibreOffice" and actually this page
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/localizers/ (which is a lot
more readable... I'd be tempted to add a small diagram though) does
come out on top so perhaps it was just an unfortunate
misunderstanding on my behlaf that, having followed Eike's link, I
assume that was the main landing page for potential localizers.

It is, and the link I gave is the page about the technical mumbo-jumbo.
My reply was to a mail that was cross-posted on the developer list,
I assumed a reference to a wiki page that includes a link to file a bug
was not out of scope for the original poster. After all, he already gave
the information that page talks about.

So I guess it narrows my concerns down to a) is that a good
reference page to give to new people whose IT skills are an unknown
and b) if bugfiling should really be done by the newbie?

If not, then the newbie would certainly find a merciful soul on this
l10n list here who would help him with that, wouldn't he?

  Eike

GPG key ID: 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
For key transition see http://erack.de/key-transition-2013-01-10.txt.asc
Support the FSFE, care about Free Software! https://fsfe.org/support/?erack