Hi Martin,
On 17/01/2013 09:55, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:
Hi,

because of this Ubuntu packaging bug that Bjorn Michaelsen even
recently downgraded from high to low:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-defaults-it/+bug/957589
Localized LibreOffice on Ubuntu makes substandard impression on
non-English users. It requires additional hacking without any notice
to the non-English speaking users.

Is there a way a language team (like Slovenian who has detected
another nasty bug in packaging Slovenian LibreOffice package as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/df-libreoffice/+bug/1024886) a way of
stopping its version to be packaged in such a buggy way for Ubuntu?

It is substandard for the LibreOffice project and it is an insult to
the LibreOffice translation community. Should they rebrand it to
"non-US-helpless-LibreOffice for Ubuntu"? Isn't this a blocker of some
kind?

After doing some tests with Jean-Baptiste help on Ubuntu 12.04 FR, I
agree with you that it's not a professional way to show our work.
However I don't think we should make it a blocker.
First, because the work around is not difficult : when you install the
language pack and the help pack in your language explicitly, the en_us
pack is not installed.
And the second reason that appears to my eyes is that LibreOffice on
Ubuntu is very important for our users.
I'm confident also that if Björn makes the priority of the bug lower,
it's not because he doesn't consider our work or that he doesn't care
about it, but surely because more severe bugs have to be fixed before,
like this one for example
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1085169 and
there is some others that prevent you to use LibO completely.
What we have decided to do is to extend our release notes to inform our
users and send the message to the forums too, we will try to communicate
at best on this bug to help solve this problem quickly.
What do you think about it ?

Kind regards
Sophie