Hi Paulo,

2011.03.03 15:30, Paulo de Souza Lima rašė:
2011/3/3 Rimas Kudelis<rq@akl.lt>
2011.03.03 14:18, Claudio F Filho rašė:

  Olivier, Can you give the access to Rogerio in the pootle for pt-BR?
Sophie, we can get a second person with admin privileges in the pt-BR
pootle? We are trying to ensure free contribution of the Brazilian community
in the project.
I'll answer this one, if you don't mind. The answer is: it's totally up to
the team lead (Olivier, in this case). Our (well, at least my) policy is
that Pootle administrators grant language admin rights for one person in a
team, and leave that person responsible for delegating permissions
(including those of a language admin) inside their team. I don't think an
approach without such hierarchy would be good...
If you don't mind, I will answer that.

1 - What if that supposed "team lead" become untrusted by the Community? You
are telling us that just one person can decide who is in, or out, of the
Pootle resources, based only in his own interest, despite the community
needs. That doesn't sound good to me...

Yes, that is a possibility. However, you should understand that most of us don't speak your language or know your situation. The only case of focibly "demoting" a language lead that I can easily imagine is if that lead would not only be inactive him/herself, but would also prevent others from contributing. While Olivier's actions could perhaps be seen as the latter (though AFAIK he does allow translation suggestions, which he then moderates himself), the statistics on Pootle prove that former is not the case – LibreOffice UI is 99% translated, and help is 100% translated into pt-BR, so he is active.

2 - We, the Brazilian Community, are asking access to the resources for
translating LibreOffce to pt-br, and to colaborate with the project. At this
moment, just one person has access to that resources, and that person is not
answering to the community requests and needs, despite the fact he is a TDF
member and should do so. We do not recognize that person as a "team lead"
and it is publicly expressed in many places over the web. We have granted
access to almost all the other resources, like wiki, PT-BR website, mailing
lists, and so on, but not to Pootle, yet. We want Claudio F. Filho, who is
trusted by the Brazilian Community, and also a TDF member, to have the same
rights to approve new contributors to Pootle.

I think this should be sorted out within your team/community. I don't think there is an official process inside TDF to resolve such conflicts. It would be nice to have one though, maybe the TDF officials could craft a fair policy for such cases?

In any case, I think that outsiders (from your team's PoV) should not generally act as judges for the reasons stated above. They may simply not be informed well enough.

We want, at least, two more contributors added to Pootle, in order to work
on translations and make things transparent for the Brazilian Community:
Rogério and me. Rogério is asking for access for the last two weeks, without
an answer. I am requesting mine right now.

What should we do in Pootle's case?

Honestly, I don't know... I can see a few options though. The civilzed way is to engage into a dialog with Olivier and sort out your conflicts internally. The modern way is to post an online petition and get a bunch of signatures. Also, you could try to initiate crafting of an official policy for such cases in LibO/TDF, because while not too common, cases like yours do arise from time to time.

By the way, I've recently learned that free software projects are not democratic – they are meritocratic. It's quite disappointing at times (e.g. when you disagree with a decision that has been made, and you can't reverse it – I know that feeling), but once you think more about it, it does make some sense. And as far as I know, Olivier's merit score is quite high in this community.

Rimas