I'm working on quality of user experience (QoE) as part of my thesis.
I think the best way to find out when pootle hangs, causing
dissatisfaction of translators is to analyse web server logs. You can
find out which requests are cancelled and which are fulfilled within a
reasonable time; which are duplicates (second attempts when first
fails), and you can find out unexpected giveups of using pootle. Even
more information can be obtained from web server logs, but appropriate
analysis should be done.

Hossein