On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Martin Srebotnjak <miles@filmsi.net> wrote:

Hello, Jan,

2011/1/21 Jan Holesovsky <kendy@suse.cz>

Yesterday I have uploaded the wikihelp translations to
http://help.libreoffice.org ,  so far for the following languages:

en, ca, cs, de, es, fr, hu, it, ja, pt, pt-BR, ru, sl, vi

Please let me know if your language's help is translated, and you want
to see it in wikihelp :-)

If I'm wright, this refers to the translations done for Ooo.
If that's so, *eu *help is already translated, and I guess it would be great
to put it online.
You can just take it from Ooo and put it in help.libreoffice.org , wright?

Great, it looks it is working for sl.

But - "ah there's the rub" (to quote the Prince of Denmark) - the page
around it is in English even when English is not selected (the title/logo
of
the page remains "LibreOffice Help" - it is rendered so it should be
rendered in all help languages, the navigation links are all English (Main
Page, Community Portal,  etc.).

I guess the direct link to that language version should open the page also
in the same wiki-language, i.e. Hungarian help in the wiki should be
displayed with the Hungarian wiki-interface etc. Could this be done?
I guess this should be default actions for all the wiki top page links to
same pages translated in other languages (why would one want to see the
page
in one's native language and have all the wiki navigation links and the
logo
in English?).

From now on, the pages have the language choice at the top; if not, it
is necessary to clear the wiki's cache using action=purge for that page,
like:

http://help.libreoffice.org/index.php5?title=Chart/Charts_in&action=purge

[where Charts/Charts_in is the name of the page where you don't see the
language choice].

Unfortunately, I did not find a way to clear the cache for the entire
wiki at one go, sorry for that.  If anybody of you knows, ideas
appreciated :-)

The logic to show the page in the right language immediately after you
issue help is not implemented yet, I hope to get it done on Monday.

Well that is the main "rub" - hope to see it implemented!

And now some observations with this online help implementation:
It is not as useful as the installed help yet - there is no tree of pages
browse through (you cannot know if there is a subpage to this help page or
page above it in the hierarchy etc.), the search results are hardly
human-readable and informative. If you want users to prefer this help, the
help content structure should be presented in some way and search should be
better or at least as in the installed help.

Also, once you have a help page opened, you are not interested in other
language versions of the same page, but of the main help page of your
language, of similar help pages / topics in your language - the help frame
around the help page should be more same-language-help informative and not
same-page-in-other-languages informative.

And one should have a feeling that one arrived at the heart of LO help
offering - the place to be when in need of help with LO. So there should be
some references automatically added to the documentation pages in that same
language, to the mailing lists etc.

To make it short - the frame in which this page content is displayed should
be more - helpful to the user. And fully localizable.

Just my 2 cents,
m.