On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Santiago Bosio
<santiago.bosio@gmail.com> wrote:
El 19/01/11 16:22, tonda kavalec escribió:

Hola, estoy de acuerdo con vos, lo mejor sería:

No se encontró ninguna actualización.

Xuacu wrote:

El miércoles, 19-xineru-2011 a les 13:21 +0100, Andras Timar escribió:

(12:37:51 PM) burbuja: Checking for an update failed
(12:38:08 PM) burbuja: string
(12:38:25 PM) burbuja: the correct translation would be: Checking for
an update failed. = Comprobación de las actualizaciones ha fallado.

Thanks,
Andras

Hi all,

First of all, currently I don't see the need for an es_AR specific
translation because:

1) We try to keep a neutral spanish translation (and yet there's too much
entries to be corrected), in order to be used by all 20 spanish locales
(yes, there are too much of them!), this involves avoiding specific tenses,
the argentinian "voseo" used on some locales of Central and South America,
and the tenses corresponding to the second plural form "vosotros" used only
at Spain. There are, however some terms that have some conflicts like the
translation of 'file', because spanish people (from Spain) prefer the
translation 'fichero', and all others are used to translate it 'archivo'.

Most software in Spanish (Spain) translate "file" as "archivo" and I
have never heard anyone complain about this.

2) Most important, we don't have that many collaborators to be able to
maintain two separate translations, even if both share the vast majority of
the strings.

Regarding the correction sent by burbuja, I can confirm that yes, it is
horribly translated, but one problem arises here: the string is found on
OOo's Pootle, not in LibO specific strings. It was corrected already on
OOo's Pootle server like this: "Falló la búsqueda de actualizaciones." Both
proposed translations were not very suitable, because "Comprobación de las
actualizaciones ha fallado." has style problems (it's a too literal
translation from english, and uses passive voice, which spanish should avoid
whenever possible), and "No se encontró ninguna actualización." doesn't
represents what the english string states (it's too liberal, because the
application failed when searching for updates, and the translation implies
that the search succeded, but no update was found, and there's another
string for that situation).

"Ha fallado la comprobación de actualizaciones"

--
Jesús Corrius <jesus@softcatala.org>
Document Foundation founding member