So, OmegaT
Sorry, I confused the names, not Omega-T, but Okapi, for the ODF to/from XLIFF filters.

Lokalize, WordForge 0.8RC1 and Virtaal should be able to handle the XLIFF files.

and Lokalize can handle this conversion and WordForge might
handle it in future if necessary code updates are added (after using patches
for the toolkit)? Seems ok.

How could then the workflow for localizing ODT files look like? Could
ODF-XLIFF transformation be offered by the translation system (Pootle?) so
that the user does not bother with that? Localizers would localize XLIFF
files (how does that relate to localization of pictures and other objects in
the ODF?).
Once good filters are available, they will probably be integrated in the different tools that can handle XLIFF. We will definitely do it for WordForge.

Integrating Okapi is a little complex at the moment because the filters are in Java, and this means integrating new dependencies or converting the code to Python.

The question about pictures is interesting. Editing text or culture in images is not something that editors will be doing in the short run (an image editor like Gimp is necessary), but at some point it will be important to be able to display pictures attached, to clarify the text.

Cheers,

Javier
Lp, m.