Op donderdag 30 december 2010 11:11:14 schreef Andras Timar:
2010.12.30. 10:54 keltezéssel, Martin Srebotnjak írta:
So even if we don't want to use pootle we will have to?

My proposal was to *store* translation in Pootle. It is up to you how to
make translation. One option is Pootle but you may choose other option.

Even OOo is going into a better direction - they have now automated the
build process of localized builds and they automatically grab Slovenian
sdf from our ftp address, when they need it.

Getting rid of the l10n repository is also the goal. It is huge,
currently 2.4 GB, and is getting bigger with every commit. It takes ages
to download, it takes minutes to commit & push something, cgit web
interface timeouts when I query this repository etc. git is not good at
handling large text files. AFAIK OOo has the same problem and I have not
seen their solution.

Andras

I am an active translator for KDE as well. The only translatable files KDE
offers are .po files, coming from .pot files. The total amount of .pot files
in trunk is ~100MB. With almost 100% translated the total amount of .po files
for one language in trunk is ~200MB. This should be multiplied by the total
number of languages. So I assume it is far more than 2.4 GB. Besides trunk
there is the whole set of branches still available. For all these files KDE
still uses subversion, although the rest of KDE is now using git.
I do not experience any problem with committing a single .po files, it is
almost instantaneous, and committing a bunch is around 10 seconds.
Once per 24 hours there is a script running to synchronise between the source
from which the .pot files come and between these .pot files and the .po files.
I assume that in due time subversion will be replaced by git, but the work
flow will not change much.

I download/update my language .po files using svn (with a very simple script)
and use Lokalize with a Translation Memory database, which is now 125M, for
translation and a glossary for words of .5 MB. Uploading is using svn commit.
Compared to using Pootle this is far more easy. Using svn or git for download
and upload is using less bandwith, because only the differences are
transported.

So my suggestion is to look at that method also.

--
fr.gr.

Freek de Kruijf