Hi Sophie,

I am sorry for missing this mail :-(  Please cc: me explicitly the next
time.

On 2010-12-08 at 14:34 +0300, Sophie Gautier wrote:

So, some inputs from the localizer point of view concerning the help files.
Currently, it's not available else than on line and in English, which is
very problematic, and more for some of us who received support to make
it available, plus it let think that it is not translated at all. So, as
Martin said on the l10n list, it's currently a stopper for localized
builds if the help is not available aside the product and in its language.

Yes, the availability of the off-line help was one of the requirements
from the very beginning, and it hasn't changed.

Out of this, if we further your effort to put it on the wiki, what the
localizer need is:
- an offline way to work on it

It should be easily achievable using Wiki Publisher extension.  And if
it has a missing feature or 2, that is fixable, and users will gain by
that too :-)

- the ability to grep the strings (we frequently make changes in UI that
we need to report in the several places where the word appears in the
help files)

With wikihelp, you can search there, google there, and if you need that,
I can also provide snapshots of the entire content - one language takes
1.4M bzipped, so a trivial download.

- the ability to add comments to the segments

You can add comments as <!-- comment --> inside the pages, also you can
have Talk: pages to the 'master' ones that include discussions, etc.
Anything missing there, please?

- the ability to make proposal only and accept those proposal,

This is another use for the Talk: pages.  Please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Using_talk_pages

- the ability to use automated checks, such as end punctuation, start
caps, sentence count, extra blanks, etc.

Can I have exact list of what you are using currently?  I am sure that
for many such things there already exist Mediawiki extensions, it is
just a matter of installing them.

- of course the use of terminology file to ensure that UI strings are
the same in HC2.

This is something I cannot force, I am afraid, this really needs to be
part of your workflow.

This is the most important actions I see, may be others may have
additional requests.
If you make sure that those needs are met, we will be able to work on it
and provide the same level of quality we are currently providing for our
localization.

I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
Kendy