On 07/12/2010 02:03, Michael Wheatland wrote:
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:34 AM, Jan Holesovsky<kendy@suse.cz>  wrote:
Hi,

I am sorry - I promised the LibO online help (WikiHelp) already the last
week, but it haven't happened; it needed more work than anticipated :-(

Either way, the good news is that I am currently uploading the files,
and I'll make the site online as soon as it finishes, and I do few
trivial checks; it should be later today (ETA 5 more hours, I am
populating the database through the Mediawiki API, not directly).  So
far I am uploading only the English version.

It will be read-only until RC2, so that it is easy to report bugs
against the tooling that converts the help from the format that is used
in the source code.  After RC2, I plan to open it for your edits&
improvements :-)

Jan,
I am looking forward to seeing this in action. As this was discussed
in the documentation conference call, the documentation team can't
wait to sink their teeth into this one.

Maybe a localisation team representative can join us on the next
documentation call to discuss their needs and you can explain how the
system will be implemented.
Clearly there can't be a different system for every language, however
as we discussed, if this were to be transitioned to the Drupal site
under development some time in the future I am sure that editorial
quality and localisation teams would be very happy with the outcome.

We have already our system working well since years, why do you want to change this, and even without a notice to those doing the work?

I would love to be able to try out some of the editing systems sooner
rather than later as we are quickly approaching launch of 3.3 with an
RC out already. Could some people on the documentation team get access
to write?

Please, contribute to our work, may be you will understand better our needs?

Martin Srebotnjak wrote:
Have these things been discussed and approved by the lang-teams? Or is
this the same pattern as with OOo - the big guns decide what will
happen and the lang-teams must do it their way? No matter how
inappropriate that decision is for the localizers?

There are no 'big guns' in the LibreOffice project as has been
discussed within the Steering Committee and on many other conference
calls. However there are too many localisation teams to discuss and
decide with every one regarding infrastructure, which would likely
result in duplication and un-coordinated systems.

Please, let us decide of how we are working. Again, we are not newcomers here. We take care to provide a product of very good quality since years. If you don't want to speak with us, please, do not try to provide tools and systems we don't need and want at all.

AFAIK there is an understanding that if people are interested in 'how'
something is implemented such as documentation, websites, marketing,
etc. they join the appropriate team who makes an informed decision
while requesting input from stakeholders. It is a simple flat
structure which with collaboration between groups should work very
well, as is happening with the Drupal website that is being developed.
I can't see this being any different.

The Drupal team is working hard to ensure that no matter what language
you will be able to contribute to these core infrastructure teams when
the site is launched early next year.

You will end by having people using other tools to fit their needs, that's all, I'm not sure this is what you want. Clearly, if you don't want to understand how it works, how we work, you're going to loose your time because the language groups will use their own CMS and tools and will go away from the main site.

Kind regards
Sophie