Hi all,
Le 23/02/2022 à 15:46, sophi a écrit :
Hi all,

Following the request made by Stanislav and Olivier on automatic translation built-in support in Weblate, we discussed the topic yesterday during our team meeting. Currently we rely on automatic suggestions from Weblate TM and amaGama TM, meaning there is no AI added. The possibility to include Aws, Microsoft, Google, DeepL, Baidu and more is already there in Weblate, see:
https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/admin/machine.html

Doing some research on the different translators available, I've seen some are really high in costs and/or do not cover a large range of languages. Traductor requests to be added in credits, I don't know for others.

Yesterday, Olivier proposed Matecat (https://www.matecat.com/) which is an open source project. He is using it with the Brazilian community and it gives them very good results. From what I've tested, it supports a large range of languages, can be used locally. However not relevant here, I found their support for a large type of file formats very interesting too.

Could you give a test to Matecat and let me know:

So it seems following Ilmari's researches that my request to test Matecat is irrelevant. I'm copying his mail in the other thread here:

I looked more deeply into Matecat now - I never before managed to find information about the way it uses machine translation. It looks like Matecat itself will not give us any benefits. See these resources:

https://guides.matecat.com/my

"By default, we provide Google Translate API (we pay for it and offer it for free to Matecat users). If for any reason the Google Translate API is not available, we automatically switch to the Microsoft Bing API."

https://guides.matecat.com/machine-translation-engines

It looks like ModernMT is the system that is associated with Matecat creators:
https://guides.matecat.com/modernmt-mmt-plug-in

It is open source, even though it has a higher quality version for enterprises:
https://github.com/modernmt/modernmt

Weblate does support it, also with a self-hosted version:
https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/blob/main/weblate/machinery/modernmt.py
https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues/1627#issuecomment-657171205

However, Weblate also supports LibreTranslate, which uses OpenNMT at its core:
https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/blob/main/weblate/machinery/libretranslate.py
https://libretranslate.com/
https://github.com/LibreTranslate/LibreTranslate
https://github.com/argosopentech/argos-translate
https://opennmt.net/

Could you please also evaluate LibreTranslate in addition to ModernMT?

Thanks a lot Ilmari for your feedback. Please follow his request to evaluate LibreTranslate.

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier sophi@libreoffice.org