(unstable network)

- -------- Mensagem original --------
Assunto: Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Calc Functions vs Excel Functions
Data: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:45:17 -0200
De: Olivier Hallot <olivier.hallot@documentfoundation.org>
Responder a: olivier.hallot@documentfoundation.org
Empresa: The Document Foundation
Para: l10n@global.libreoffice.org

Hi Zeki

Em 12-12-2012 17:07, Zeki Bildirici escreveu:
Hello,

//Question for Documentation team:

I was translating Calc functions to Turkish, i was cross checking with
Microsoft Office then i had a suspect that YIELD and RECEIVED was
translated wrong in MS Office Turkish.

While searching the answer for the question "Should it be the same,
even if it is wrong?" i need to find a comparision list of Calc
Functions vs Excel functions but i  could'nt find.

In my translation for pt-BR (2003), I mapped all Excel functions into
Calc functions. At that time I was not able to question if Excel
translation was good or not. What I can tell is that the translation
quality of Excel functions to pt-BR stinks, with accented letters, dots
and absolute lack of uniformity. The decision was to bring the poor
quality into Calc for the sake of interoperability (which is unfortunate).

Is there a comparision list and a migration guide that, this function
covers this function in Excel?

Not that I am aware of. This may help you
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_Functions_listed_by_category

//Question for localization:

Is there a policiy or a suggestion about keeping the translations
parallel with MS Excel?

I think this is a decision of your translation team and your community.
My advise is to bring it close to Excel, but improve where you can.

There will be another situation for you already or soon: Some functions
are unique to Calc (AFAIK) and you will be called to give a turkish name
for them! What a responsability!

Best Regards,
Zeki

- Calc Function List in Appendix B of the Calc Guide (imported to
Turkish Wiki for work:
http://wiki.libreoffice.org.tr/Fonksiyonlar%C4%B1n_Tan%C4%B1m%C4%B1
- Short list of MS Excel Function Definitions:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/excel-functions-by-category-HP005204211.aspx
- There is a similar page in help but categories shown in another
page: http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Functions_by_Category

- --
Olivier Hallot
+55-21-8822-8812