2011/4/13 Christian Lohmaier <lohmaier+ooofuture@googlemail.com>:
Hi Anton, *,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Anton Meixome <meixome@certima.net> wrote:

Sorry Christian, my english is not fluent and that's reason for not
comment in retaill the problems.
Perhaps Friedel can help more here. I think he was supporting the
OOo.org pootle's instalation, that is rolling perfectly.

Well, they have tons of RAM (IIRC the server has 12GB of RAM, and is
only used for pootle) available and can put the whole database into
RAM without problem, then the drawbacks on how pootle uses the
database, and also the drawback of having table locks with myISAM
doesn't impact performance that much.

But we're running pootle inside a VM, and there is not enough ram on
the host to allow file caching in this magnitude.

The problem is that when it needs to access the disk to read the
database, it can easily come to a point where user A requests data
that is on block a on the disk, and  user B requests data that is on
block b, but both are not in RAM at the same time, so it has to
constantly read stuff from disk - and that is slow. Even worse is when
some lengthy process is run over the whole database (like when
uploding files and regenerating statistics, and similar)

Can I suggest temporaly hide Help files? Is possible that diff and
mess functions in .po overload the server.

I now tweaked both mysql's parameters as well as the setup of the
virutalbox VM so that now parts of the databse can be cached by the
host, so that the VM doesn't need to do real disk i/o anymore (at
least now to a much lesser extent).

While not completely eliminating wait times (for example when
mysqldump is running, it locks the table and thus during mysqldump no
other accesses to the table are possible), those waiting times should
now much shorter (as mysqldump completes faster, all other slow
operations also should complete faster, thus it is less likely to get
into a "I want block A, but other user wants B, yet another one wants
D" at the same time.

ciao
Christian

Understanded.
It's logical. At this moment it goes very well and sounds as promising.

Cheers

Antón Méixome - Blog about Galician Office Suite
Galician community OOo.org & LibO
http://blog.openoffice.gl // http://blog.libreoffice.gl