Doc Team Meeting Minutes June 4th 2020

Thursday June 4th 2020, 18:00 UTC

Presents: Drew Jensen, Dan Lewis, Steve Fanning, Gordon, Emiliano
Vavassori, Olivier

IRC chanel:
https://irc.documentfoundation.org/?settings=#libreoffice-doc

Telegram Group
https://t.me/joinchat/ALeRuUFCxyZY0wzoddldWQ

Live TDF Jitsi Room
https://jitsi.documentfoundation.org/tdfdocteam

Completed items:
* Submit proposal for new Guide template (olivier)
* Verify Linux keyboard shortcuts for Calc Guide (Drew)

Pending items:

* Update Contributor Guide for e-PUB - Tabs issue

Topics and Discussion:

* Template for Chapters version 7:

* General
   + Is there really any important reason to make major changes to the
existing 6.x template, or is this just change for the sake of
change?(Dave Barton)
   + Why are the guides (the software?) going to be given the title of
"Community Edition"? Did I miss the announcement about the commercial or
some other edition?(DB)
   + the 7.x template should only include a few cosmetic changes in line
with the software's PR version number change.(DB)
   + Only one template for each version (DB)
   + 18 months of the template life, change is welcome (Drew)
   + *OK for change*

* Changed text body font to serif
   + Will users of the guides find them more or less readable and
attractive after the font change? (SF)
   + If the team decide to use the serif font for the Text Body style,
would it be better to use the same font family for the character styles?
This would avoid mixing sans serif and serif characters in a single
sentence.(SF)
   + Mixing sans serif and serif never looks good in a user guide. It is
best to keep to one style of font. Sans serif is good and it matches
what a user would normally see on their computer screen when using
LibreOffice.(PS)
   + Look at the web (SF)
   + Less modern than Sans serif (SF)
   + Keep 12pt font size (Dan Lewis)
   + Serif for printed on paper and Sans Serif of PDF on-screen
(Emiliano Vavassori)
    + Sans Serif was used because of low-res screens (Olivier)
        + Digital distribution is more popular than printing (Drew)
        + Change character fonts too (sf)
        + Heading in Sans Serif ok (EV)
    *OK to keep Serif fonts*

* Deleted unused custom styles in template file
   + The only thing that needs doing is serious look at the number of
styles and the question should be asked is do we need the all.(Peter
Schofield)
   + Add the macro code style to the template (Dan)
   + There is a macro that colorizes code, in an extension (drew)
   + Currently code keywords are direct formatted, breaks a11y (Drew)
   + Macros in Calc does not have word coloring (SF)
*AI: Mail on the issue of code coloring (Drew)*

* rebuilt the heading style hierarchy where headings inherit from
Heading paragraph style
   + The way it should be (DL, Drew)

* New logo/banner on top of chapter
   + *OK for Community Edition*

* Title
   + On the first page of the template, I preferred the chapter number,
chapter title and chapter subtitle lines to be left justified, as in the
LO6 template.(sf)
   + Only exception I can think of at the moment is that there should be
Chapter Title and Chapter Subtitle instead of Title and Subtitle. Title
and Subtitle were normally used for the complete book. (PS)
   + *Title Left aligned*

* Page margins inner/outer values to allow binding.

* New Tip/Note/Warning icons/background (from Help)
   + *OK for the new icons*

* No new style, no style rename
   + OK

* Suggestion for Heading colors based on Module colors
   + *OK worth the change to see (sf)*

* Reworked number & bullet list position settings.
   + Check the effects (Dan)
   + Remove 1st line indenting (SF)
   + *OK Update list styles*

* Other comments
   + Added alt text to images (drew)

Next meeting : *THURSDAY* June 18th 2020 at 18:00 UTC.