LibreOffice print

Hi, am coming from this link, apologies if this is the wrong email to contact.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/c/cd/How-to-create-posters-Draw.pdf
Just wanted to know if the LibreOffice Draw file discussed in the link can create print quality PDFs, or is there no option but to use Adobe.
The document discusses this partially and also mentions Adobe.
Unsure.
Thanks!

LibreOffice Draw has a menu option File>Export as PDF..., so yes it can.

Also, if you're using Windows 10 it has it's own built-in PDF printer.
Select "Microsoft Print to PDF" as the printer and it will produce a PDF of
the document.

Not familiar with "printing professional quality brochures". However, as
far as I know, a PDF is a PDF in that sense that if the file conforms to
the standard then it can be used for any purpose intended for a PDF. A
printer would most likely want a PDF/A since that must be a self contained
document. Draw exports PDF/A.

Don't know about the "quality" of the PDF. I expect would be based on two
things, the source program's internal representations of the objects to
print and the PDF printer's fidelity rendering them.

Mac does print to PDF. Check bottom left of printer selection dialog for
"PDF" button.

Short answer (you are using a home printer or a color laser printer at
a walk-in print shop i.e. kinkos) is yes it can.

You want to set the following PDF file options;
On the General Tab of the PDF options dialog under Images
Select Lossless Compression (this will use a PNG format for any
graphics in your file)
For "Reduce image resolution" select a minimum of 300 dpi

Now for the caveat.
If you are wanting to send to a commercial print shop for offset
printing there can be an issue with color representation.
LibreOffice only exports RGB color codes and most presses work with a
different coloring scheme CMYK.
For the most part commercial houses will perform the conversion from
RGB to CMYK for you but there is the chance that the colors will
change slightly. Just check with them about sending RGB before hand.

HTH

Drew

I'm not seeing the post to which you are responding so apologies for
replying to the wrong person.

If what is wanted is professional looking brochures, I'm assuming that
you are talking about a combination of text and graphics. Scribus would
be a more appropriate tool for this. You will have much finer control
over formatting and layout. The comparable Adobe product is InDesign.

Hi, and so many thanks for replying.
Was actually asking wondering those PDFs would be good enough for printing professional quality brochures and such.
Adobe is prohibitively expensive, for casual users.
Am on a Mac.

Okay.
Heard lots of stories of printers sending back PDFs, unless.
Also Apple Pages’ PDFs (almost officially) don’t cut it.
Hence this whole “enquiry”.
Regards.

That does clarify it.
I do believe CMYK is the norm.
Guess I will check with local printers etc.
Thanks much.
Prem

I also noticed a feature in reviewing for curriculum teaching all of the
Adobe products and working on a project that there is a built in ISO19005
tag in Draw for any regulatory requirements that you might have in your
particular country. This feature is a secret hidden gem of sorts as I have
never seen something so rare and beautiful in the Word Suite.

Superb. Thanks.