Doc Team Meeting Minutes of MARCH 12th 2020

Dave Barton kindly reminded me to publish the minutes)

THURSDAY March 12th 2020, 18:00 UTC

Presents: Drew Jensen, Dave Barton, Olivier

Note: Dave had issues with microphone

Discussion
Olivier:"Guides Translatablility"
- Guides are considered references in LO literature
  + Much appreciated by L10n communities
  + Serve as reference for training
  + Also migration consulting job
  + Many How-tos for newbies,
  + Soon to close the published/release
- Issues
  + Guides are written in English with "pure LibreOffice" and ODT format
  + Changes between release can trigger high volume of retranslation
  + Computer Aided Translation (CAT) is a stand-alone tool - work on files
       + can share translation memory (TM) but work "per file"
       + Depends on desktop, no shared work, until finished
       + TM helps, but nevertheless, translator must approve each suggestion
       + CAT tools hides XML gribberish, good, but XML ch graphics and
concepts are presentaitons images such digital photos

Drew: Recovering illness
     + Base context, usage of word "Link":
        + ="Join" in a SQL statement
        + ="relation" when connecting 2 tables in a RDB
        + ="link" when creating a form (in Base context).

Next meeting THURSDAY MArch 26th 2020 18:00 UTC

Hi,

Dave Barton kindly reminded me to publish the minutes)

THURSDAY March 12th 2020, 18:00 UTC

Presents: Drew Jensen, Dave Barton, Olivier

Note: Dave had issues with microphone

Discussion
Olivier:"Guides Translatablility"
- Guides are considered references in LO literature
  + Much appreciated by L10n communities
  + Serve as reference for training
  + Also migration consulting job
  + Many How-tos for newbies,
  + Soon to close the published/release
- Issues
  + Guides are written in English with "pure LibreOffice" and ODT format

OmegaT handles ODT format (I use it for ledgers translation)

  + Changes between release can trigger high volume of retranslation

This is handled by GitHub

  + Computer Aided Translation (CAT) is a stand-alone tool - work on files
       + can share translation memory (TM) but work "per file"
       + Depends on desktop, no shared work, until finished

changes are pushed each time the file is saved, so it's easy to work
collectively on one file

       + TM helps, but nevertheless, translator must approve each suggestion

it's the translation process anyway

       + CAT tools hides XML gribberish, good, but XML ch graphics and
concepts are presentaitons images such digital photos

See here for using OmegaT Team project. Czech and Italian l10n teams are
using this process and can be of help.

Cheers
Sophie