Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Embedded Links 4 Click Through

Hi Caroline,

First point, you do not need to cc me in your replies, I do best reading
just one copy of messages sent to the list :)

I am aware that some editors like to develop documentation directly
on-line. Personally this is something I would never consider doing under
any circumstances. I always download the ODF file, edit off-line and
upload my updated draft/review, which means I always have ready instant
access to links that I might need to test/check. Whether or not the
on-line or off-line method is efficient is open to debate.

Due to circumstances prevailing within the LO project in recent years,
we were obliged to move our documentation development to Nextcloud and
learn to adapt to it's shortcomings and limitations. Personally, I don't
like it, but I have learned to live with it.

Regards
Dave

On 24/03/2020 16:26, Caroline Carlisle Tidwell wrote:
> I wonder if this process is efficient if it has to be added at a different
> step in the process or it could be during our developing or later stage?
>
> I suppose my argument as an editor is how can I validate URL accuracy &
> functionality if the links are never functioning from a UAT perspective
> until the next step in the Guttenberg process so to speak?
>
> Regards & thanks,
> CCT
>
> 1.404.584.8180 office
> www.linkedin.com/in/vandyjuggler
>

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:49 AM Dave Barton <daveb@libreoffice.org> wrote:
>

>> Hi Caroline,
>>
>> We do not publish from NextCloud. This is just our workspace for
>> developing the documentation in preparation for for publication.
>>
>> The final published documents (complete with clickable links) are then
>> made available from our website:
>> https://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/english-documentation/
>> and our Wiki:
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
>>
>> eBooks can take different forms, we make the eBook editions of the
>> documentation available in PDF. As Dan has already pointed out preparing
>> the guides in other eBook formats (eg. epub, mobi, azw3, etc.) requires
>> some additional work.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> On 24/03/2020 13:14, Caroline Carlisle Tidwell wrote:
>>> Hello, team.
>>>
>>> It seems in the other word processing methods for publishing that you can
>>> embed a link to click through fairly easily. I was curious as to if we
>> have
>>> coded this idea using the NextCloud publishing format as it seems that
>> the
>>> links throughout all of the documents & chapters do not click through at
>>> this time, but are just listed as a link. Usually, you list the link in
>> the
>>> text & then you sort of dig it deeper into the code with a second
>> reference
>>> string push on top of that one.
>>>
>>> For the digital publishing world, I would think reading the
>>> reference manual as an eBook would like an easy one click click through
>>> would function? Any ideas or notes on this one for digital publishing?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> CCT