Embedded Links 4 Click Through

Hello, team.

It seems in the other word processing methods for publishing that you can
embed a link to click through fairly easily. I was curious as to if we have
coded this idea using the NextCloud publishing format as it seems that the
links throughout all of the documents & chapters do not click through at
this time, but are just listed as a link. Usually, you list the link in the
text & then you sort of dig it deeper into the code with a second reference
string push on top of that one.

For the digital publishing world, I would think reading the
reference manual as an eBook would like an easy one click click through
would function? Any ideas or notes on this one for digital publishing?

Regards,
CCT

1.404.584.8180 office
www.linkedin.com/in/vandyjuggler

This can be done for eBook documents, and this requires the use of either Sigil or calibre by someone who knows what they are doing. It does take some time to do this. Both of these automatically make a table of content that links to the content. The rest of the links like those to figures have to be entered individually. A chapter may take 2 or 3 days to do this.

Dan

I have used both of these programs to produce ePub files.

Hi Caroline,

We do not publish from NextCloud. This is just our workspace for
developing the documentation in preparation for for publication.

The final published documents (complete with clickable links) are then
made available from our website:
https://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/english-documentation/
and our Wiki:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

eBooks can take different forms, we make the eBook editions of the
documentation available in PDF. As Dan has already pointed out preparing
the guides in other eBook formats (eg. epub, mobi, azw3, etc.) requires
some additional work.

Dave

Thanks, team! We have a bit of movement in the USA on the digital library
side and digital publishing side of things! I will take a look at this
stuff.

Regards,
CCT

1.404.584.8180 office
www.linkedin.com/in/vandyjuggler

I wonder if this process is efficient if it has to be added at a different
step in the process or it could be during our developing or later stage?

I suppose my argument as an editor is how can I validate URL accuracy &
functionality if the links are never functioning from a UAT perspective
until the next step in the Guttenberg process so to speak?

Regards & thanks,
CCT

1.404.584.8180 office
www.linkedin.com/in/vandyjuggler

Hi Caroline,

First point, you do not need to cc me in your replies, I do best reading
just one copy of messages sent to the list :slight_smile:

I am aware that some editors like to develop documentation directly
on-line. Personally this is something I would never consider doing under
any circumstances. I always download the ODF file, edit off-line and
upload my updated draft/review, which means I always have ready instant
access to links that I might need to test/check. Whether or not the
on-line or off-line method is efficient is open to debate.

Due to circumstances prevailing within the LO project in recent years,
we were obliged to move our documentation development to Nextcloud and
learn to adapt to it's shortcomings and limitations. Personally, I don't
like it, but I have learned to live with it.

Regards
Dave