Rob Westein: Base Ch 1 & 2

Rob,

I checked out Ch 1 & 2 for review but would prefer to do my review after
you replace the screenshots, and I’m a bit busy on other projects at
the moment. Rather than delay you, if you have time this week, I’ll let you
work on them first. Would that work for you?

Regards, Jean

Hi Jean,

No problem. I'm planning to redo chapter 2 screenshots this week.

Thanks,
Rob

Pulkit, Dan, and Rob:

I have returned Chapter 1, heavily edited, to the Feedback folder. I
left notes in it about what I did, and some questions that I could not
answer. I have updated the Status spreadsheet.

Rob, if you are doing screenshots for Chapter 2 this week, I'll skip
that chapter for now and work on Chapter 3.

Jean

Hi Jean,

Rob, if you are doing screenshots for Chapter 2 this week, I'll skip
that chapter for now and work on Chapter 3.

I did not have time this week to work on the screenshots....
Last week I've downloaded all drafts, so I can prepare the screenshots coming weekend.
Next week I will (hopefully) add them to the documents. No need to wait for me.

Rob

Hello Jean, Dan and Rob,
I have compared chapter 1 before and after being edited by Jean. I have
accepted all the changes. I have adjusted some screenshots so that they
meet the current standard (For example on page 24, I have cropped the
figure so that it does not include the german title). I have placed the
chapter in Published folder and updated the spreadsheet.

To Jean:
I have added the name of the databases Media without macros and media with
macros to the preface. I dit not used track changes as the change was
necessary and the database name should be mentioned there.

To Dan:
Jean has commented that it would be too complicated to name the table
"Athletes". He has changed the sentences accordingly so that the readers
can understand that starters anre athletes. I agree with him.

I have adjusted the screenshots that you commented on so that they meet the
current standard (For example on page 24, I have cropped the figure so that
it does not include the german title.

To Rob:
I have adjusted the screenshots but if you want you can take the chapter
from the published, replace the screenshots and put it back there and
inform the mailing list.But I would advice you to skip chapter 1 as there
are not many needs of screenshot replacement and I have adjusted all of the
needed ones.

To Everybody:
There is a date problem. I think Jean being from Australia has added 29th
Feb to the date in the Spreadsheet but it is 28th in India (where I live)
at time of writing this mail. I think we should not use local dates and use
the Universal time.

Pulkit Krishna

The wrong date on the file and the spreadsheet was my mistake. I was not
paying attention and I thought Friday was the 29th! :smile:

BTW, I am “she” not “he”. I know Jean is a man’s name in France and other
countries, so people often make that mistake.

Jean

Hi All,

Hello Jean, Dan and Rob,

I have adjusted the screenshots that you commented on so that they meet the
current standard (For example on page 24, I have cropped the figure so that
it does not include the german title.

To Rob:
I have adjusted the screenshots but if you want you can take the chapter
from the published, replace the screenshots and put it back there and
inform the mailing list.But I would advice you to skip chapter 1 as there
are not many needs of screenshot replacement and I have adjusted all of the
needed ones.

Just to be clear... I thought we agreed to use Windows OS to create the screendumps... (Dan told us to use Windows OS) The first Image in chapter 1 does not looks like Windows at all...
So I redo all screenshots in Windows??

Thanks,

/Rob

My opinion, FWIW: I think it's a waste of time to redo the screenshots
in Windows, though I have no objection to doing so. Some of the
sections in Chapter 2 may be Linux-only; I'm not sure. And a chapter
with new screenshots will need a quick review to make sure they are
all okay, correctly anchored, and so on.

Jean

Hi Rob,

Just to be clear... I thought we agreed to use Windows OS to create the
screendumps... (Dan told us to use Windows OS) The first Image in
chapter 1 does not looks like Windows at all...
So I redo all screenshots in Windows??

Don't know where to get the chapters of the Base guide you are working
on, but the original Base Handbook and the published version for LO 5.0
contains only Linux-screenshots. There are 2 resons for this screenshots:
- avoid to get trouble with copyrights (the German documentation team
decided to take all screenshots in a special Linux-GTK-design ...)
- no Windows system available for me, the author of the Base Handbuch.

Regards

Robert

OTOH, doing new screenshots is a great way to check whether the text makes
sense, is missing no important info, and is correct.

Jean

Some time recently, I think Olivier said the English guides should have
screenshots from Windows. I was surprised because a few years ago
everything was supposed to be Linux, and I do not recall why this happened.

Jean

Some time recently, I think Olivier said the English guides should have
screenshots from Windows. I was surprised because a few years ago
everything was supposed to be Linux, and I do not recall why this happened.

I think it is because most of the LO users are still Windows users.

Kees

Hello

I am having to do screenshots using Mac OS as I no longer have a reliable Windows/Linux computer. I know there is slight differences between the operating systems, but a user should be able to work things out as the pictures are almost the same.

Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com