Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Suggestion

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 at 18:13 Olivier Hallot <olivier.hallot@libreoffice.org>
wrote:

> Hi Steve
>
> Em 26/11/2019 11:00, Stephen Fanning escreveu:
> > Olivier,
> >
> > As you are aware I have noted some discrepancies between the Function
> > Wizard and the Help system with regards to the descriptions of the 500+
> > Calc functions. I have kept a list of the issues found so far and will
> > raise bugs in due course.
>
> I am interested in these discrepancies because the Help system is
> actually the reference information to users. Therefore, information
> accuracy in the Help system is a quality issue and must be addressed.
>

> > [...]
> >
> > Once I have completed the draft Calc Guide chapter, I would be prepared
> > carry out a more systematic and thorough cross-check of the function
> > descriptions over the next few months, as a background task. Would that a
> > worthwhile exercise?
>
> In the Calc Guide point of view, my personal opinion is that it can turn
> the chapter into an extensive reference, which can turn the book a bit
> too heavy, having pages and pages of esoteric
> math/sciences/financial//computer sciences/.../ functions, perhaps
> better fit into a "Handbook of LibreOffice Calc Functions" book on its own.
>
> Would that be a worthwhile exercise? yes definitely. Everyone will benefit.
>
> Help system: must be as accurate as possible with respect to the current
> software implementation.
>
> the "Handbook": will be a wonderful piece of work for LibreOffice Calc.
> 500 or more functions is not a small task, though.
>
> Note: We often see a mix of objective in product documentation blurring
> Reference info and Guide info. To try to make things a bit clear, the
> software Help system must be reference-oriented, where information is
> factual and accurate (and dull). For example, the Help system should not
> be used to explain the math behind the COS function. The same COS
> function can figure in a Guide with some trigonometry background info to
> help user in achieving a goal, because Guides are essentially
> goal-oriented information.
>
> IMO the functions chapter should be a separate handbook, not part of the
Calc Guide itself. Years ago when the first iteration of the book was being
written, I argued against including it, but others wanted it in. To me the
Calc Guide (and all the guides) should be task- or goal-oriented (how to do
things), not reference books.

Jean